Is this the wettest (firewood selling )autumn you have known !

cessna

I expect some of  you ,who have been selling  air seasoned firewood for 20 yrs +, will have experienced  a wet summer and now autumn like this before, but in the 19yrs I have been selling  firewood I think this is the worst summer and autumn for air drying 2.5 mtr lengths of cord wood that I can remember. The high humidity is working against one all the time. 

Interested if any other Arbtalk members  may think the same, "A problem talked about is a problem shared". 

Note.  My cordwood is stored outside but I am fortunate to rent an enclosed shed  where I can store  approximately  25tonnnes  before processing .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, spot on; logs are taking forever to dry this year.  In fact I've found them being harder to dry for the last three years or so for some reason but there could be local environmental changes causing that

And things aren't going to get better any time soon!

EC.EUROPA.EU

Few people have probably noticed, but the world’s winds are getting slower. It is something that cannot be picked up by watching the billowing of dust or listening to the rustle of...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nepia said:

Yep, spot on; logs are taking forever to dry this year.  In fact I've found them being harder to dry for the last three years or so for some reason but there could be local environmental changes causing that

And things aren't going to get better any time soon!

EC.EUROPA.EU

Few people have probably noticed, but the world’s winds are getting slower. It is something that cannot be picked up by watching the billowing of dust or listening to the rustle of...

How can this be so  ? Every week the media say there is another named storm with 100000mph winds hitting the country. 
logs though June -august is our drying time… never have found autumn to be any good for cutting and drying wood at all. 
you need more space I’m afraid and buy at least a year in advance. 

• Like 3

It's definitely been a wet few months, we also do contract baling and this is the first year we didn't finish. A few customers didn't find a dry period to cut and had to sacrifice the crops.

I haven't noticed the wind but as with all weather we only notice the peaks/extremes not the average. We've had a few bad storms but that doesn't help drying at all.

Luckily we have a kiln for firewood so we can keep drying through the winter but the wood going in seems soaking this year.

• Like 1

I  was idly thinking its being less windy the last few yrs

Might get storms but from day to day  it seem less  generally windy & more flat calm days with hardly a breeze.

Maybe the  wind is all concentrated on certain days  so average  speed could be near the the same but seem like theres being less constant prevailing winds.

Being a cyclist means you  take a greater notice of  wind as even a  breeze is very noticable if its a headwind.

Nor exactly a scientific observation though.

Edited by Stere

2 hours ago, Stere said:

I  was idly thinking its being less windy the last few yrs

Might get storms but from day to day  it seem less  generally windy & more flat calm days with hardly a breeze.

Same here.  Whenever I was at my logstore a few years ago there seemed to be at least a breeze; not so much now - there seem to be more still days

Edited by nepia

4 hours ago, MattyF said:

How can this be so  ? 

Our winds are driven by the temperature difference between the poles and the equator.  The poles are warming faster than the equator so that difference is reducing = less wind in global terms