Private car insurance?

PeteB

53 minutes ago, Steven P said:

The key fob one only sends out the signal when you press the button, but with the keyless one it sends the signal regardless doesn't it (near a window or door for example)? So you can put your relay device near a house a capture the keyless signal but the only way to do that with a fob is if the fob button is also pressed

As that would flatten the fob battery my guess is the car sends out the signal and this induces a current in the fob which powers it to send an ack reply which the car then acts on.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

As that would flatten the fob battery my guess is the car sends out the signal and this induces a current in the fob which powers it to send an ack reply which the car then acts on.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but yes, it probably would do that. There is something where you can hold the criminals box of tricks near the house and if the keys are in range it can grab the keyless signal. Maybe they record the signal from the car first or it could be like those RFID security tag chips. (note... don't leave your car keys on the table in the hall by the front door!)

• Like 2

The advice is, disable it by pressing the lights button three times followed by unlock, or place the key in a Faraday box (available from online retailers) and even consider a steering wheel lock!

Insurance for all recent Land-Rover vehicles has rocketed this year due to the theft problem. They're desirable and very easy to steal. I seem to recall seeing stats which show that more than 40% of stolen vehicles in the greater London area are recent Range-Rovers.

Coupled with the general increases due to keyless entry and the fact that EVs are usually written off after minor prangs, many LRs have become virtually uninsurable.

Edited by Treewolf

My wife's renewal was £393 back in June for her 62 plate Evoque. With business cover. Only need the business cover as we're also Foster carers. She was quoted a ridiculous price so did a few comparisons. Same with my Ranger been with Admiral for 3 years this year wanted £770 😟. Eventually went with Ageas for £255.

LV for me, has gone up twenty odd percent from last year but still cheaper than many others and they've been good. They also do good multi car rates and take the number of vehicles you have access to into account. A dash cam also seems to bring prices down.

Swift were the cheapest! But, they quoted her more online than me! How does that work? Others who had my business in the past were nearly twice the price or declined to quote!

She does small mileage and upped the voluntary excess too!