Finance company have 'forgotten' to take a deposit

Clutchy

Not quite the same, but there have been numerous cases where a bank has paid money into someones account by mistake and they have drawn it out and spent it.

When it goes to court, the courts decide would it be reasonable to think the account holder did not realise it was a mistake. What i mean is, if someone paid, say £5000 into my account by mistake, i would certainly notice. If on the other hand i had £567,983,8765,235 in there and paid £10,000 in and out every day, then i might reasonable not notice.

If the court rules that they would have noticed it is theft...

All i am saying is, a free £8,000 sounds great, but if there is anything that you have now, or MIGHT like in future, say a shotgun or firearms cert, or perhaps insurance or further loans, anything that hints of dishonesty, will wreck that for you...

I cannot see they will not notice.. I would ask for the settlement figure and make sure. You were expecting to pay the £8,000, do not take the risk of wrecking your future hoping they will not notice.. It is not worth it...

john..

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, renewablejohn said:

Yes its very rare I venture onto Arbtalk anymore like many others have decided its just not worth the abuse.

Grow a pair most of  it is tongue in cheek banter like you get in work or the pub. There are a couple of cruel people on here but bolam is not one of those. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, renewablejohn said:

Yes its very rare I venture onto Arbtalk anymore like many others have decided its just not worth the abuse.

Just arbtalk? The internet in general isn’t really the place for sensitive people these days unfortunately. Don’t tarnish arbtalk with that brush 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Its definitely an HP agreement, I have it sitting in front of me. 

I've checked through my accounts to double check if I missed it going out and I can't see it.

Its definitely plausible that we could of missed it, we keep 6 figures in the account at all times, so that amount wouldn't necessarily be obvious so feel it would be unfair for them to mark anything on our credit file for their mistake. 

If I forgot to invoice a client, I couldn't back date interest. 

But as you all say, pretty unlikely they could miss something like this so I'm going to ask for a settlement figure tomorrow which should shed light on the situation, either positively for me or highlight that we haven't paid and will of course make the payment that day. 

Never know, could get lucky. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, renewablejohn said:

You could stop pulling 'facts' out of your arse then getting upset when others call you out on them. 

Just a suggestion like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Clutchy said:

so feel it would be unfair for them to mark anything on our credit file for their mistake

I just always have this feeling with finance and banks that if you make a mistake it's your fault, and if they make a mistake it's also your fault for not spotting it.

Just my paranoia. Bit like when mortgage company gives a special deal, they always win in the end. I don't trust em.

• Like 6