Leaf blowers

tenner

5 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

OK thanks for the feedback, maybe I'll borrow one.  Its just the alternatives to a vacuum aren't great.  I've tried blowing and it just sends the clippings into the flower beds or all over the gravel. I have been collecting the clippings with ground sheets, but its seriously slow.  Yes, I will always be cutting these box hedges in prolonged dry spells to help with the various dreaded box blight.  

I had a cheap one that was my brother's, thought it would be cool to vac up sawdust from cutting firewood in front of my garage.

All the tiny stones on the concrete going up the tube into the impeller sounded like bullets, gave up on that pretty quick.

I don't see a better way really than plenty of sheets to keep 95% of the leaves off the gravel then blow the last bit. Sheets are pretty cheap really compared to fancy blowers.

7 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

OK thanks for the feedback, maybe I'll borrow one.  Its just the alternatives to a vacuum aren't great.  I've tried blowing and it just sends the clippings into the flower beds or all over the gravel. I have been collecting the clippings with ground sheets, but its seriously slow.  Yes, I will always be cutting these box hedges in prolonged dry spells to help with the various dreaded box blight.  

Hmm. Box blight or the Asian box moth? Or do you consider them the same thing? Some years ago people were complaining about box blight, some time later they realised it was the asian box moth. I have been spraying the box for the last two seasons to keep the numbers or all of the caterpillars away. Have you had any luck getting rid of the caterpillars? 

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

Spud ported a blower didn't he?

I ported a stihl hand held a couple of years ago for a good friend of mine......made it so powerful it made his wrist ache trying to keep it pointing towards the ground.

Well...that was his excuse he told me for his wrist ache. 😔

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, AJStrees said:

Hmm. Box blight or the Asian box moth? Or do you consider them the same thing? Some years ago people were complaining about box blight, some time later they realised it was the asian box moth. I have been spraying the box for the last two seasons to keep the numbers or all of the caterpillars away. Have you had any luck getting rid of the caterpillars? 

Fungal Box blight. Never seen a moth or a caterpillar.  It doesn't kill the bushes but manifests itself as dying foliage.  Long term, I know the only solution is to grub out the plants and use a different plant, but so far I have kept it in check by feeding, fertilizing, various fungacides and hand pruning out dead or thick areas. hedgecutting in dry spells is essential.  Leaf blowing just doesn't work in the tight spaces and could spread the infection.

I tried sheets ok for small scale but a pain for  example on mrs miggins near 100m long box parterre along the gravel path to the orangery.

Just can't be asked to repeatedly move the  sheets when a blower will remove  stuff well.

Edited by Stere

• 2 weeks later...