Cutting a palm tree down.

ilan

Hi all, There is a palm tree at the front of my house and it is too close and have grown bit too big. Although I like it, I think it is time to cut it down to avoid any future problems (e.g. falling tree). Please see attached photo. 

I am planning to buy a 35 to 40 cm electric chainsaw to cut it down.

Tree height is about 4.3m (without palm fronds/leaves) and the fence is about 5m away. 

I am planning to cut the fronds first using a telescopic pruner I have. 

Then cut the truck at about 1.5m high from ground level. Then cut the base trunk. 

Any thoughts on above plan?. Any other better ways to do it?

I haven't cut big trees like this before so anything I need to watch out for?. 

Thanks.  

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

3 hours ago, ilan said:

Hi all, There is a palm tree at the front of my house and it is too close and have grown bit too big. Although I like it, I think it is time to cut it down to avoid any future problems (e.g. falling tree). Please see attached photo. 

I am planning to buy a 35 to 40 cm electric chainsaw to cut it down.

Tree height is about 4.3m (without palm fronds/leaves) and the fence is about 5m away. 

I am planning to cut the fronds first using a telescopic pruner I have. 

Then cut the truck at about 1.5m high from ground level. Then cut the base trunk. 

Any thoughts on above plan?. Any other better ways to do it?

I haven't cut big trees like this before so anything I need to watch out for?. 

Thanks.  

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Chusan palms.  Lovely plants.  What a shame the one near your house is so close.  In the right place it would look lovely.

• Like 1

Electric chainsaw will really struggle - the trunks are very fibrous and it will jam up multiple times - even a more powerful petrol saw will jam but has more chance of powering through. Maybe better to find someone local and experienced to drop it for you. If you do the disposal it’ll probably cost less than buying the saw. What’s your location?

• Thanks 1

drop it in one

saves logs dropping off near the windows and stuff

one low cut in the right direction removes risk of stuff swinging at height or dropping

move the car, rope the top, 1/4 gob 18inch from ground towards the grid in the gutter, go through the back 2/3, pull it over

no pressure on the saw when you cut, let it nibble to reduce jamming from fibres.

after that youre on your own.

or pay someone else to do it and shove it all on the back of their truck cos its shit stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

electric chain saw, £100, goggle, helmet, boots, gloves, saw proof trousers - any more minimum kit required? + £100, see the saw after, maybe the safety kit -£70, total cost £130. Might almost be viable for a few ££ more to pay someone, end of the day job if you are not demanding which day they do it.

However, looks like something you could do yourself

• Thanks 1