Cutting rounds for firewood company

Donnie

4 hours ago, JDon said:

Yup. My cuts aren't all bang on 8 inches but I always aim for just below.

Am I charging enough for one man non stop cutting basically from 8-4 280 pound. 

I'll be doing a bit more come Monday 8-5 and will be charging around 315-320. 

Would be good to know as I'd like to see about getting more work doing it as if's a piece of cake and a lot easier than felling trees so it's a nice break. 

How does that compare with felling tree rates you normally do. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

Can you not just ring up on that stack?Then push the rounds off with the telehandler?

It’s all a faff compared to just having a machine in the yard to pick up the logs and hold it at waist height! Especially for that volume of timber. 

we don’t do anything like that amount but we make it easy. Pick up log, slew and hang it over area next to splitter, then cut with a guide rod held to the saw handle with jubilee clips. Obviously this only works going one way, but guess what- you go and cut the rest of the log from the other side! 

And once you’ve done that, you have an odd random short bit in the grab which gets dropped in another pile to be cut in half and make a ‘random length ’ crate up. 

You’re never struggling or bending over. You’re never falling over existing cut rounds. You also don’t have to move the rounds far to the splitter as you cut them right next to it. Life is easy. The hardest work is climbing back into the digger 

but if @JDons boss doesn’t want him to be as profitable as he could be, that’s his prerogative. Running a timber yard that size without a crane is just daft. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, doobin said:

And once you’ve done that, you have an odd random short bit in the grab which gets dropped in another pile to be cut in half and make a ‘random length ’ crate up. 

Put the last bit on a waist height block (carve a V or put four big nails into flat endgrain). Cut the last standard length off it and knock that onto the floor with the other standards. Handball the one irregular into a box.

4 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

Bloke doesn't have a machine though does he?

The more you move stuff the less profit you make,blokey is there to cut rings and he can only use the gear onsite.

Tbf I literally just cut the rings and leave them where they are in a big pile. I don't lift them if I don't need to. 

• Like 1

On 12/08/2023 at 12:13, JDon said:

Am I charging enough for one man non stop cutting basically from 8-4 280 pound. 

I'll be doing a bit more come Monday 8-5 and will be charging around 315-320. 

Wow & I get grief charging £450 for two men & a processor for 8-4 & we will load, cut, split & drop into IBC ect. Between 1/2 & 3/4 of a 26t load per day.

4 minutes ago, Justme said:

Wow & I get grief charging £450 for two men & a processor for 8-4 & we will load, cut, split & drop into IBC ect. Between 1/2 & 3/4 of a 26t load per day.

Suppose it depends. I think he's happy to not have to saw it up himself!

• Like 1