Is Twenty Plenty?

Doug Tait

just traded in my pathfinder for a x trail the thing bleeps when you are pulling into a spot in a car park if there is a car at the side, when i first drove it i was spending too much time looking at the displays than watching where I was going it has reversing camera on when you put it into reverse but i just use the mirrors. its a 1600 and seems to be a bit under powered compared to the pathfinder so you are having to use the gears a lot more then the mpg suffers, i seem to be getting only 10 mpg more. 

• Like 1

I think 20 is plenty..  I wish is was that in my village.  I think all new cars should be restricted to the speed limit.  My sat nav knows how fast I am going and the speed limit. Speeding is apparently a contributory factor in around 30% of fatalities.  Technology is great. Also like beeping when you're reversing. It makes life way easier and you can back right up to stuff..

9 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

I think 20 is plenty..  I wish is was that in my village.  I think all new cars should be restricted to the speed limit.  My sat nav knows how fast I am going and the speed limit. Speeding is apparently a contributory factor in around 30% of fatalities.  Technology is great. Also like beeping when you're reversing. It makes life way easier and you can back right up to stuff..

What a nanny state world you wish to inhabit.

Next you'll be saying nobody should have a driver's license as technology can do it for you, next it'll be only no cars.

Other than traffic volume, nothing has changed since our childhoods.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

Think restriction to the speed limit can be dangerous - we are not all brilliant drivers and some sometimes make mistakes - say overtaking a slow vehicle, car, horse where you are completely on the other side of the road, mis-judge the gap and have to accelerate to get past safer (obviously not safely because you wouldn't be in that position in the first place but...). Limit yourself to the speed limit and you don't have that option.

Can't argue against speed limits, without them we'd have people doing 70 or 80 through towns, but got to apply the correct limit to the correct road. In Glasgow for example 20mph city centre applies equally to the road past a school as it does to the main road along the river (which is almost a dual carriageway, just needs a central reservation and barriers along the pavement)

3 hours ago, GarethM said:

What a nanny state world you wish to inhabit.

Next you'll be saying nobody should have a driver's license as technology can do it for you, next it'll be only no cars.

Other than traffic volume, nothing has changed since our childhoods.

Not a nanny state. Happy for people to put their own life at risk in as many interesting ways as they like. What I am not keen on is knob heads putting my life in danger as they speed.

Also have 4 teenage children and would rather they weren't in cars driven by speeding numpties. There are 2 trees within 1 mile of my house bedecked with football scarves and shirts where boys have been speeding and killed themselves and passengers in one case.

Last Halloween we were at a party in the village when some idiot youths did a hit and run killing a chap walking home from the pub. Our host a nurse spent an hour giving cpr. 

And if cars could drive themselves and were safer why would I drive?

10 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

Not a nanny state. Happy for people to put their own life at risk in as many interesting ways as they like. What I am not keen on is knob heads putting my life in danger as they speed.

Also have 4 teenage children and would rather they weren't in cars driven by speeding numpties. There are 2 trees within 1 mile of my house bedecked with football scarves and shirts where boys have been speeding and killed themselves and passengers in one case.

Last Halloween we were at a party in the village when some idiot youths did a hit and run killing a chap walking home from the pub. Our host a nurse spent an hour giving cpr. 

And if cars could drive themselves and were safer why would I drive?

That is pretty much a definition of a nanny state, we the government can't trust you to behave by our rules so we make it mandatory for everyone!.

You'll probably be wanting as a temporary thing before we forced to be on foot, to have alcohol sensors and scan your driving licence before the key starts.

My old boss argued that driver airbags actually increased speeding, when you think about it, it makes sense.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, GarethM said:

That is pretty much a definition of a nanny state, we the government can't trust you to behave by our rules so we make it mandatory for everyone!.

You'll probably be wanting as a temporary ..

No it's not.. 

And yes I would definitely like to keep drunk drivers off the road..