Wasp stings on ear, Dewalt safety glasses

miker

A bit random but stay with me

I wear these safety glasses while strimming,  hedge cutting etc

Twice now i have been stung on the ear by a wasp, yesterday i had a bad reaction and ended up flat out on a lawn where the owner found me and called an ambulance, im now waiting on doctors phone call to test me for allergy to wasp stings

Firstly , would getting stung on the ear be worse than other places and thats why i reacted badly ( first time i have had bad reaction ) ??

And secondly would these glasses and logo in particular look like another wasp/hornet/bee and thats why my ear was stung ??

Any thoughts on this

Cheers

20230714_220115.jpg

36 minutes ago, miker said:

And secondly would these glasses and logo in particular look like another wasp/hornet/bee and thats why my ear was stung ??

My understanding is that an earlier sting sets up the immune system to react so that the next sting makes a big immune response that drives the body into shock, the antidote to which is adrenaline.

When orange was chosen as the Hiviz for working on the railway one of the reasons given was that the yellow attracted insects.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

My understanding is that an earlier sting sets up the immune system to react so that the next sting makes a big immune response that drives the body into shock, the antidote to which is adrenaline.

When orange was chosen as the Hiviz for working on the railway one of the reasons given was that the yellow attracted insects.

Useful info there, thank you

Different people may have different levels of sensitivity to insect venom or toxins, and this can influence the severity of their reaction. Additionally, certain areas of the body may be more sensitive or have a higher concentration of blood vessels, nerve endings, or other factors that could potentially lead to a more intense or noticeable reaction.

I think i would be ditching the Dewalt glass,s given the colour of them ,, i have been stung with a few wasps over the years but in 2016 i had a bad experiance with them , we where out pigeon shooting a long the side of a main land drainage ditch that has some steep sides, when we came to tidy up i knew there was 2 birds on the ditch side when i walked a long the ditch i could see the birds and instead of putting a dog over as it was a fair old jump back over the fence, i decieded i would get em myself, so when i got to a suitable spot to get over the fence the ground erupted under my feet and before i knew i was doing about 20mph across a piss wet throug stubble field in wellies, never run as fast for years, ended up with 38 stings on me that where all over my body and even down my wellies, my face and my kneck where the worst and all swelled up, and yes i did feel shit for a few days and yes i did consider A&E but never got there 

20160813_233422.jpg

20160813_233615.jpg

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Sorry to interrupt, I'm not sure that is all true.

I was told of a number of reasons for Orange.

1 it wasn't a naturally produced colour. Or as much as the yellow in daff's and daisy's,  gorse whatever.

2 it didn't disappear as readily under sodium street lighting. This was the biggie.

3 to set it apart from road workers...who did use yellow back in the day. Police H-Vi being one.

4  lastly the scotchlite strips on "yellow" hi vi were similar to some of the old telegraph signalling. Rail HiVi scotchlite is/was in a different setup to not be confused with signalling. double bands round arms legs.

Also I believe insects see in a different spectrum, so our "yellow" is their shocking pink or whatever. 

Sorry do de-rail. No pun intended

• Like 1

WWW.BLOOMLING.UK

2015 has been an incredible year for wasps! Here's our tips for keeping them away from your garden party!

There's a claim here that CO2 is used at the nest for alarm purposes.  If true it would follow that wasps are naturally attracted to our heads which may make the deWalt safety specs irrelevant to this conversation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob_z_l said:

Sorry to interrupt, I'm not sure that is all true.

I was told of a number of reasons for Orange.

1 it wasn't a naturally produced colour. Or as much as the yellow in daff's and daisy's,  gorse whatever.

2 it didn't disappear as readily under sodium street lighting. This was the biggie.

3 to set it apart from road workers...who did use yellow back in the day. Police H-Vi being one.

4  lastly the scotchlite strips on "yellow" hi vi were similar to some of the old telegraph signalling. Rail HiVi scotchlite is/was in a different setup to not be confused with signalling. double bands round arms legs.

Also I believe insects see in a different spectrum, so our "yellow" is their shocking pink or whatever. 

Sorry do de-rail. No pun intended

More importantly yellow is a colour used in signalling and for hand-signalling flags whilst orange is not.

As a bee keeper I can only comment on bees. I get stung quite often and head stings do seem far more painful that say hands, arms or legs. Bees actually seem more attracted to dark colours than light, so will home in on the black of a logo opposed to yellow.

You can get desensitised to bee stings so it might be worth looking into something for wasps if you are likely to get stung again.

One thing I have noticed this year is more wasps about than previous years. 

• Like 2

I drove over a wasps nest on a ride on mower they instantly swarmed around my head some getting into my Orange Husky hat and stinging my bonce . I pulled my hat off and tossed it away and they chased after it . I came back and got it next day .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1