Paying somebody in cash

Donnie

It really annoys me from a customer point of view, barbers or kebab shops who only take cash, and I'd actively avoid them.  Make your customer leave their car keys in your shop and walk to a cash machine because you don't want the 1% fee for a card transaction, and you want to dodge the tax

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NJA said:

It really annoys me from a customer point of view, barbers or kebab shops who only take cash, and I'd actively avoid them.  Make your customer leave their car keys in your shop and walk to a cash machine because you don't want the 1% fee for a card transaction, and you want to dodge the tax

Good luck to them I say, why should the bank take a fee for every single card transaction, tax avoidance 🤷‍♂️is theirs and Hmrcs business. What  is far worse is when they won’t take cash, the new Aberdeen exhibition centre for example is totally cashless for all the gigs there 😡 Burger King during the covid farce we’re another bunch who refused to take legal tender. Absolutely outrageous quite frankly, there should be legislation in place to stop such behaviour. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 10

9 hours ago, Mesterh said:

It was it a figure of speech but I also assumed that they still had job boards up, although it has been 30 years since I last stepped into a job centre so I guess it's all a bit more modern now and the jobs are accessed through computers etc. 

Its all on the computer now - don't even have to go in to look at the adverts, it is worse, on the computer and online!

(I'd agree with the barbers probably avoiding some tax, but in a more subtle way - ours is a pound or 2 under the next £5, so you pay cash "keep the change" it is only £1 or £2.. from everyone. So ours keep a tally chart of who cuts what hair - auditable I guess, but not those tips, which are probably equivalent to the tax)

1 hour ago, NJA said:

I’d actively avoid a supermarket that only takes cards/chèques, but not before I’d informed them why.

The freedom to spend your money, where and on what you want without third parties monitoring and recording the information must not be given away.

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I’d actively avoid a supermarket that only takes cards/chèques, but not before I’d informed them why.

The freedom to spend your money, where and on what you want without third parties monitoring and recording the information must not be given away.

Agreed, the local Oatcake shop went cashless last year, petty maybe, but I go to another Oatcake shop now. Personally I’m better at handling my money in cash rather than cards. And I don’t want everyone and his dog knowing my business.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NJA said:

It really annoys me from a customer point of view, barbers or kebab shops who only take cash, and I'd actively avoid them. 

One of my team was in the police for many years. He explained to me that in our area the large number of barbers shops and takeaways that keep popping up will almost certainly be money laundering operations ie they set up a "business" where cash payment has been the norm for years, and use this to launder dirty, typically drugs, money. I had never thought of this, but had certainly noticed an unexplained number of new barbers opening up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

One of my team was in the police for many years. He explained to me that in our area the large number of barbers shops and takeaways that keep popping up will almost certainly be money laundering operations ie they set up a "business" where cash payment has been the norm for years, and use this to launder dirty, typically drugs, money. I had never thought of this, but had certainly noticed an unexplained number of new barbers opening up.

That’s been a well known fact for years, our weak as piss laws and immigration policies combined with a gentle touch policing approach have led to this just being the norm in many areas. Again if Hmrc did their job along with other agencies it would be easily sorted. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

It’s gone modern, our middle kid ran a pub on London Rd, Stoke. The vape shop opposite was cash only, as well as, “anything for the weekend, sir). When it got turned over there was £200k of smack and a grow going upstairs.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

Exactly this in my nearest town. Barbers(one hair style only!) next to a continental grocery shop(which very few people seem to shop in) with the local car wash guy visiting all premises. Continental grocers often visited by Customs and Excise but still operating. One big cash society(on paper). And not to mention the door in the back for the frustrated arborist with cash in his pocket😳 apparently?

58 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

Well perhaps, but this sort of stuff is trotted out to distrust or discredit cash as a means to get goods and services.

You got your hair cut for a tenner? Good for you, the rest is HMRCs business.

Edited by Mick Dempsey