FR Jones

benedmonds

33 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

i pay via my credit card for protection i just dont get it why you guys do not do the same

How do you think we pay? Bank transfers or cheques for online shopping in 2023? (shoutout to Rowena Carbs actually)

We have good consumer protection in the UK no matter how you pay but this is still a pain in the arse.

10 minutes ago, tenner said:

How do you think we pay? Bank transfers or cheques for online shopping in 2023? (shoutout to Rowena Carbs actually)

We have good consumer protection in the UK no matter how you pay but this is still a pain in the arse.

Credit card is the best option by a mile you are fully protected.

1 hour ago, GarethM said:

I'd be very doubtful, I bet Stihl has ironclad terms of purchase. So anticipate a lorry going and emptying half the place of unpaid for gear.

1 hour ago, petercb said:

That's exactly what happens, some years ago we supplied cables to LDV and when they went bust administrators invited us in to reclaim items we had not been paid for.

I had something similar years back, the administrators were a bit fly by night and pretty arsey, asking loads of questions like describing the goods etc.

When they finally realised everything was serial numbered, data plated, painted in a brand specific colour they quickly changed tune and it was back in the workshop pretty quickly.

Romalpa clauses if anyone is interested in googling it. 

• Like 1

I'd be very doubtful, I bet Stihl has ironclad terms of purchase. So anticipate a lorry going and emptying half the place of unpaid for gear.

I know. The comment was tongue in cheek somewhat. 😜

God loves a trier as they say 😉.

Certainly wonder how they got to acrue so much debt and the suppliers allowed them to get away with it!.

Most of the big names wouldn't let them get overdrawn without reducing the discounts or jacking up the prices to pay it off.

I was wondering what was going on the past few weeks, they suddenly had some large bundle sales and then nothing was in stock. I thought it some IT error and the website was under a revamp.

I guess trying to become the Amazon of the machinery and stuff world didn't work out too well.

In a Liquidation, HMG ensures the Liquidators get paid. Then, any moneys left get first dibs by the bank with everyone else joining a queue. As the email says, apply to them first as it gives a realistic picture to any future buyer, puts the true debt on the balance sheet and then they will advise your best plan going forwards. They need to have a full picture to decide whether the job is salvaged and sold or palletised for auction.

I ought to say that the customers seeking that cheap saw in a box or hank of rope drive prices down and the spiral starts. I remember sitting with a dealer as a customer asked for his best price on a 'topper'. The saw was fetched off the shelf, the good points on the design pointed out and the value of buying locally from a fully equipped workshop discussed.  The customer asked him to price match. The dealer calmly put it back on the shelf, declined and told the chap he was going to loose money at that price. Inviting the customer to leave to drive off to get his cheap saw and not to bring it there when it needed to be set up.

Don't begrudge other folk wanting to make a profit - they want to eat meat at the weekend too!

• Like 7

12 hours ago, tenner said:

Debit card possibly?

You get a tiny bit of voluntary protection with a debit card.

Credit cards companies are legally obliged to cover the whole purchase.

I don’t know how it works legally, but PayPal resolution centre has never failed me.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be sure PayPal could do anything, as the company assets are frozen.

They can't refund money from a frozen account and they aren't a credit card when it comes to buyer protection with some form of insurance scheme.

Obviously it's a different case when you're dealing personal to personal via eBay as they just take the cash and refund you.