FR Jones

benedmonds

8 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Interesting no discount in France, I always imagined they'd be cheaper online in Germany but when I tried looking this up (pre Brexit) didn't appear to be the case. Thought maybe they get trade discount but maybe not.

They’ll give you a tenner off or a free chain, but that’s it.

Tbh I don’t care, I’d rather deal with people who are making enough money to do a good job for me and will help me out when I need something done quickly.

A few dozen euros here or there is irrelevant. 

• Like 7

I'm flabbergasted, and also thanking my lucky stars. 

The cutting deck on my old Husqvarna rider finally became impossible to patch up any further, so  about four months ago I decided it was long overdue for replacement. A complete 94 deck from most folk seemed to be around £850-900, and FR Jones had one for £700. As was stated earlier, I checked with my normal dealer, who said they couldn't buy it for that! I try to be loyal to suppliers, but as I would get free next day delivery, and three monthly interest free payments through Paypal, I ordered it from FR Jones. It arrived bang on time, and only needed very minor surgery to fit to my R16. The only issue was having to either create a mix of old and new bits to use my own belt cover, or spend £50 on a new one. Still way ahead of the game.

I could so easily have been up that famous creek, by the looks of things, phew! 

They had started taking orders for stuff they hadn't got. That pissed me off enough to go elsewhere, no point saying you have something in stock and then not delivering for a fortnight because you'd lied.

Still, sorry to see them go and sorry for those caught up in it all.

• Like 2

Were they cheaper than others I didn't notice. Ive always order from  where ever than happens to be  cheapest & has the items in stock.

Loads of other online shops  such as honey bros, gusharts, radmore tucker, sam turner northen arb etc all  seem a  similar price etc?

Bought from several luckily never had any  issues.

Edited by Stere

I was tempted to buy a new saw from them online 2 years ago, but instead bought the same saw from my local john Deere dealership, who we’ve had the tractor etc from. They were a few quid dearer than fr Jones, not by much, however they are there if I need back up, and really, you can’t beat walking in to a shop, paying, and walking out with the saw in your hand. In my locality, there’s 6 shops you can walk in to and buy any Stihl equipment, and i think 4 for husqvarna. It must be a pretty cut throat business. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, benedmonds said:

It is quite scary the number of established firms that have gone bankrupt in recent months.  A few big cycle retailers have gone under in recent months. 

Planet X, I believe? In some ways, they were similar to FR Jones, being massive discounters. Definitely a shame though.