tacho rules do you know them?

kindlett

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, as I said the trailer was road legal so could be towed by any “artic” tractor unit so no need for a low loader. The tractor belongs to a contractor, he uses it on the road a lot so it's got an O licence and it's on DERV.

Also worth noting that the picture pre dates the revision of HODA schedule 1, which clarified the use of red.

If I do need anything moving I call a pall of mine at Chris Bennet Haulage (Stockport). Plenty of low loaders and big hiab’s.

Still amused?

If you are saying that Arb does not fall into forestry or hort, then what grounds did he have to take a tractor on the road and should the tailer not be tested???

If you are saying that Arb does not fall into forestry or hort, then what grounds did he have to take a tractor on the road and should the tailer not be tested???

He (the contractor) cuts grass for schools, football fields, housing associations and the like. I timed the job for when he was cutting a school outfield nearby although that was to fit in with his schedule.

As I said the trailer was road legal so at the time it was still in test, and the “Atlas” had a valid loler inspection. I can’t vouch for now because I sold it when the contract ended.

Since we are asking, is your trailer tested? How about the Mog, agg. on red?

I wasn't asking, I said "should" not "is".

I think Arb does fall into forestry or hort, its you that dunt.

So you think grass cutting falls into hort, but tree cutting don't??

Do you want to know what I think or are you just happy to put words in my mouth?

It matters little what I think, it matters little what you think. What matters is what the law says.

Can we get back to tachographs now

just to put the Forestry Contractors Association take on this - the official line straight from Donald McClean head of FCA's legal is that ARB is NOT Forestry -but if you think you have a valid case and can back it up then so be it.

just quoting the official FCA line, issued to us forestry contractors.

It’s time for arboriculture to stop trying to hop on the coat tails of the foresters and farmers exemptions and take a responsible attitude to fuel and vehicle usage

Do you want to know what I think or are you just happy to put words in my mouth?

I apologize if you feel I been put words in your mouth that was not my intention.

In the first quote above I thought you were saying arb is not forestry or hort, when you then went on to say grass cutting justified taking the tractor on the road but not tree work, I assumed that was the same point :confused1:

You are quite right that it matters not what we think, BUT I do not think the law is clear cut and I do think the powers that be should know their stuff when they pull us.

My landrover does around 4 miles a day, I spend less time in my landrover than I do on the crapper.

To me it is double standards, tachos should be used in ALL vehicles where the main activity is driving, ie whitevan delivery man.

I'm bolloxed if I'm putting in a tacho for 10 minutes driving a day

Dean, wont be long before we will need a tacho on our crappers. That way vosa will know if your working one out or just resting and of course you will start with a clean sheet and finish with paper work properly filled out.

Some interesting points raised.

I get the feeling people think this is a new thing, it’s not, the tacho requirement has been there since Adam was young. But for the internet, this conversation would have taken place between a couple of people down the pub/cafe/chainsaw shop.

No one likes rules but the rules are what they are. At 3.5t we are only just on the bottom rung of a set of rules that governs the use of all vehicles right up to the top limits of what you can move by road. For the bigger players it’s a simple thing. Haulage outfits know and understand the rules and must abide by them. Arborists tend to look on a vehicle as “something I use to get me to the tree”. It’s time for arboriculture to stop trying to hop on the coat tails of the foresters and farmers exemptions and take a responsible attitude to fuel and vehicle usage

Most of the VOSA staff you meet at a check are qualified vehicle examiners, their job is to keep vehicles safe. They are expert in what they come up against on a daily basis, exemptions are by their nature less commonly encountered so you can’t blame the man for referring it or getting a second opinion. If the inspector is less than competent for asking what should we think of our own industry that has a forum full of questions?

VOSA is what stands between your family and a driver on the end of a 14 hour shift, in a truck with dodgy brakes and a bald tyre or two.

Absoloute f-ing balls mate. I have never heard such crap in all my life. VOSA are a bunch of ill informed jumped up ex security men and squaddies, who are very very far from experts in their field and are NOT, repeat NOT qualified vehicle examiners. You say exemptions are fair enough for the VOSA man getting wrong in the same paragraph as you say they are qualified to keep vehicles safe. IF they are in a position to slap draconian notices on vehicles at a vast cost to the owner for things as petty as a broken indicator repeater lens then they should know the letter of the law to the finest detail.

A forum full of questions is a million miles away from someone in a position of responsibilty, safety making decisions and with the power to apply fiscal hardship on members of the public.

The only good thing i have ever heard about VOSA is when one of their slimy good for nothing POS employees picked on the wrong lorry driver and was kicked all round the car park and had seveb shades beaten out of him and spent 6 months off work. They are scum who are little better than human GATS cameras. My missus has fallen foul of them at vast cost, and each time has had theur findings quashed at the plating station, who basically said whati have just written.

VOSA have to justify their existence by nabbing enough drivers, which explains a hell of a lot to me.

VOSA......tosser

I didn’t say grass cutting justified taking the tractor on the road, what justifies taking it on the road is DERV, RFL and an “O” licence

The fact that a few people report problems shouldn’t be misconstrued as a bigger problem than it is. The internet puts everyone’s event in your garden.