tacho rules do you know them?

kindlett

50km !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only work in a 5km radius of home :biggrin:

If they made me fit a tacho I think I may give up the job and get a proper one.

There's only so much BS you can take for the wage you earn and to be honest it's getting close now.

I can go get a job paying 24K a year with no overtime, no phones ringing all hours, no sunday or evening pricing and no BS paperwork.

I can then remove all the sign writing from my landrover, ditch my accountant, ditch my EL and PL insurance, ditch my loler testing, accident book, training record book, service record book, book keeping book and do cash in hand jobs, run on red and screw the tax man, just do one job a week and stick 4 or 5 hundred quid a week in my back pocket

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting points raised.

I get the feeling people think this is a new thing, it’s not, the tacho requirement has been there since Adam was young. But for the internet, this conversation would have taken place between a couple of people down the pub/cafe/chainsaw shop.

No one likes rules but the rules are what they are. At 3.5t we are only just on the bottom rung of a set of rules that governs the use of all vehicles right up to the top limits of what you can move by road. For the bigger players it’s a simple thing. Haulage outfits know and understand the rules and must abide by them. Arborists tend to look on a vehicle as “something I use to get me to the tree”. It’s time for arboriculture to stop trying to hop on the coat tails of the foresters and farmers exemptions and take a responsible attitude to fuel and vehicle usage

Most of the VOSA staff you meet at a check are qualified vehicle examiners, their job is to keep vehicles safe. They are expert in what they come up against on a daily basis, exemptions are by their nature less commonly encountered so you can’t blame the man for referring it or getting a second opinion. If the inspector is less than competent for asking what should we think of our own industry that has a forum full of questions?

VOSA is what stands between your family and a driver on the end of a 14 hour shift, in a truck with dodgy brakes and a bald tyre or two.

VOSA is what stands between your family and a driver on the end of a 14 hour shift, in a truck with dodgy brakes and a bald tyre or two.

My landrover does around 4 miles a day, I spend less time in my landrover than I do on the crapper.

To me it is double standards, tachos should be used in ALL vehicles where the main activity is driving, ie whitevan delivery man.

I'm bolloxed if I'm putting in a tacho for 10 minutes driving a day

as some will know

I work for LA and we have a landrover and 3.5t trailer and a 17tonner towing a 2.25t chipper

we have people that know the law and what is required and we dont have a tacko in landy and dont use the one in wagon under some exemption.

I do not know exactly what but it is linked to the distance or hours as when it was looked into we had to fill mileage/driver times sheets out which we did for 4 months and they have been kept as proof of either hours or mileage

Also fuel records will show how many miles between fill ups

Not sure this helps but thought i would share.

Our lack of knowledge does does not screw up other peoples lives.

It might if your 20 tonne unimog / trailer combo collides with a family car.

Not having a go, I put my mogs onto our operators licence so that they get inspected by a qualified engineer every 6 weeks.

In the event of a collision I can show I have taken steps to keep the vechicles roadworthy.