What stihl strimmer to run mulching blade?

J@mesC

1 hour ago, Trailoftears said:

Just a different take on your needs, I've not used the mulching blades-they look pretty 'spitty' and nasty to me!Over the years I've generally gone with whatever the current stihl 40cc was,and recently 'downgraded' to the 240-c.Identical power output to the 361 but a weight saving of 1.5kg-not insignificant.But whatever m/c I'm using I find the brushcut knife 3-pointed blade a really good all rounder-nettles/docks/brambles up to your waist-even young samplings/gorse up to and over 1cm are dealt with easily.

That weight saving you refer to is the anti-vibe. Rather you than me.

• Like 1

Its true you are sacrificing 4 point vibe for 1 point vibe,also the gearhead is less robust too,also the handlebar mount point is not lifted as high as the 'proper' clearing saws too.But what swayed me-and I've used the last 3 gens of stihl cl.saws-is always using the forwardmost harness point to make the machine as forward heavy as poss (6 ft +),this clearing saw stihl gen Are truly,truly horribly back heavy-this you will know about when you take the strain and lift to clear waist high verges,banks-trust me-they are back-heavy pigs.Ironically,with the 240-cyou can slide the harness point along the shaft to EXACTLY where it suits each individual precisely.Not a huge fan of this generation of engine-its a badly balanced back-heavy lump.Tge old fs400 were far superior balance wise.I expect a change on any new versions of these saws.Also the shut lines on the engine areas/covers and cowls are the worst/biggest I've ever seen on Stihl high end cl.saws tbh.

As an afterthought too,with the 240-c you get to grease the bevel gear area with your own,hopefully premium grease.As far as Ive seen-the clearing saws are know sealed for life with no option to re-grease,I have heard many complaints (and heard) local authority operatives with worryingly whiny gearheads....

10 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

Battery or 4 stroke won't have enough umph for clearing or mulching with a blade.  For brambles and saplings, I'd want a fair amount of power, just seen you have bought the FS461 which is 45 cc, ideal.  

I do it with mine, cut trees and gorse well beyond what the mulching blade is really meant for, I prefer the 3 prong mulchers :nurse:

2 hours ago, Trailoftears said:

As an afterthought too,with the 240-c you get to grease the bevel gear area with your own,hopefully premium grease.As far as Ive seen-the clearing saws are know sealed for life with no option to re-grease,I have heard many complaints (and heard) local authority operatives with worryingly whiny gearheads....

They've gone back to having grease points on the new incarnations. As for local authorities having problems not being able to grease the heads, I haven't seen that it makes any difference. Most of the operatives probably wouldn't know what grease was, even if you smeared them in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, gand said:

They've gone back to having grease points on the new incarnations. As for local authorities having problems not being able to grease the heads, I haven't seen that it makes any difference. Most of the operatives probably wouldn't know what grease was, even if you smeared them in it.

Lol-I hear what your saying....

I looked long and hard at the fs 131 over the 240 c.Which is Much lighter with a (slightly)lower power output+much the same money.But what sold me on the fs 240-c is the almost astonishing throttle response.Hand on heart,its been by far the most responsive 2/ clearing saw/b.cutter machine from stihl its ever been my pleasure to use.Maybe the 4/ fs131 would/could be equally good.But I couldn't afford to drop £600+ just to find was it as good as a proven pro 2/commercial machine.

Just going back to the first post those blades are the Oregon ones , we had problems with them  on our fs460’s  we had the clutch housing break on 3 machines using those blades always seem to be going out of balance, since we have gone back to stihl blades never had any issues, IMO , with metal blades you want 360 or bigger , we have had more problems with the 460’s over the years than the 360 or 410 , maybe just me but had at least 3 or 4 pistons melt, having said that they get a lot of stick .

• Like 1