What stihl strimmer to run mulching blade?

J@mesC

3 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

I bought a Husqvarna 555rxt last year and thoroughly recommend it. It has bags of power at 50 odd cc and low vibes. I had some teething problems getting the blades set up due to a really poor instruction book, but now I love it.

I have one and the slightely smaller 545RX . Both great machines .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scbk said:

Each to their own but I would pick a battery or 4 stroke machine for running a blade, less revvy more torquey or whatever :bandit:

Totally not the case, sorry. 

a blade only requires the revs to be tickled enough to keep the momentum. A four way cord head takes far more power. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2

On 28/05/2023 at 11:48, Whoppa Choppa said:

A Clearing Saw rather than a brushcutter. Thicker, stronger tube, stronger gear head etc etc.

Absolutely spot on for a mulching blade (or shredcut blades as Stihl refer to them)

Only models where they recommend the shredcut blades can be fitted are: FS361, FS411, FS461, FS491 (270mm) and FS561 (320mm)

You fit it to any other models in the range, then you invalidate warranty and can seriously damage the drivetrain as a result....hence why they won't warranty it.

For a clearing saw blade, especially a chisel tooth even more than a scratcher tooth, you want high rpm to avoid vibration. But I'm specifically talking about clearing not mulching. I would imagine torque would be useful for pulping material, especially once the blade had lost its edge.

For the small amount of mulching I have done I preferred the 3 prong blade over the 2 (aka shredder).

Edited by Whoppa Choppa

21 hours ago, doobin said:

Totally not the case, sorry. 

a blade only requires the revs to be tickled enough to keep the momentum. A four way cord head takes far more power. 

This all day long !

Just a different take on your needs, I've not used the mulching blades-they look pretty 'spitty' and nasty to me!Over the years I've generally gone with whatever the current stihl 40cc was,and recently 'downgraded' to the 240-c.Identical power output to the 361 but a weight saving of 1.5kg-not insignificant.But whatever m/c I'm using I find the brushcut knife 3-pointed blade a really good all rounder-nettles/docks/brambles up to your waist-even young samplings/gorse up to and over 1cm are dealt with easily.

• Like 1