High Speed Tractor Towing Issues

QuattroKev

Just upgraded the old 40k tractor to a Valtra with a 57k box

All my current trailers are 6 stud axles on flotation tyres

Is anyone towing at speed on 6 stud axles?  Any issues? 

Should I be upgrading to 10 stud axle trailers?  Looking at upgrading the old Botex euro 8 timber trailer for a new larger one, these seem to come in 8 stud only.

bigger high spec tractors can travel at up to 60k, its the trailer axels, tyres and brakes that is the issue, i would just go on to www.gov and check it out on there,, i was at a machinery sale not long since and lad i was with was looking at a trailer and all he said was tyre bill would be well in the 100s before he got home with it, old trailer in very good condition with old style low speed tyres ,, 

9 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

bigger high spec tractors can travel at up to 60k, its the trailer axels, tyres and brakes that is the issue, i would just go on to www.gov and check it out on there,, i was at a machinery sale not long since and lad i was with was looking at a trailer and all he said was tyre bill would be well in the 100s before he got home with it, old trailer in very good condition with old style low speed tyres ,, 

Anything over 750kg traveling at more than 25mph needs full suspension to stay within the law AFAIK

Whilst my understanding is from my reading of these and a few other sources.

It always seems to never mention a speed higher than 25mph with a trailer, as they say it's open to interpretation but that's for a judge.

Edited by GarethM

Local lads run some trailers with the 6 stud 15.3 rim tyres on.... one of the trailer has some better tyres on but still in the 6 stud rims.... 

After this they're on super singles and floatation on various trailers. 

These lads on 50k tractors.... 

I would consider upgrading trailers for better axles maybe. 57k is fairly braying on with weight behind

• Like 2

11 hours ago, woody paul said:

Is there a company make a fast tow timber trailer, sprung axles, and air brakes.

A lot of guys out there using modified artic trailers Paul. Not sure what's left in the way of a legal payload, with  the weight of these modern tractors/trailers combo`s some must be down to under ten tons.

Bob 

12 hours ago, aspenarb said:

A lot of guys out there using modified artic trailers Paul. Not sure what's left in the way of a legal payload, with  the weight of these modern tractors/trailers combo`s some must be down to under ten tons.

Bob 

Good for road haulage but less so for in the wood or tight driveways.