Splitting and Seasoning Oak

Witterings

20 hours ago, Gabriel82 said:

@Rob_the_Sparky

I think I'll have to build some things like these to store the rest of firewood(A LOT) since today I ran out of space to store it... Near the shed... 

And I"m not even done splitting all the log slices... 🤕 

When we need some storage in a hurry we usually turn to pallets around here.  They are used a lot by local companies who get stuff delivered on them so have piles of them they are more than happy for you to remove for them (we actually pay people at our place to get rid of them when they pile up too much!).  You can soon nail a few together to produce a makeshift log store, just need a roof of some sort and if you have the time to break them up then you can again use pallets!  As ever free stuff is good :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stere said:

I was under the impression alot of it was overstood and derelict  & not heard of any  new land planted so not sure if  it is thriving or  in decline as a industry?

It’s thriving from my experience in East/West Sussex/Kent.
The biggest threat is from mechanised harvesting for biomass, whole swathes of fencing grade timber being chipped in the name of Green Energy. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Screenshot_20240227-065115.thumb.png.623d53545d761c1a0dd6e1af29259841.png@5thelement For fencing steel poles dipped in molten zinc/aluminium alloy are  ideal. Or concrete fencing 😎 

Built it once and well. 

But I'm happy about chopping every wood "stuff" available and turning that into briquettes or pellets. They burn just as good as seasoned wood. Hell, around here in Romania we get wood briquettes with just 8 to 10 % humidity for about 300 euros 1 ton. 

Plus no chainsaw or axe needed. Just start the fire with some dry small left overs from a wood timber factory, then add these wood briquettes! Same "effect" ,hot ceramic tile stove for about 10-12 hours.  😁👍 

P.s. I've finnished splitting the oak. Yesterday got the wood/timber needed for the "storing rack" ,with some effort I'll clear up the yard "a bit"... Wood wood everywhere 🙄

Edited by Gabriel82
Photo
  • Like 2

On 23/02/2024 at 08:42, sime42 said:

That looks good. We could do with a supplier like that in the UK. It would be nice to have a readily available alternative to tanalised softwood timber, (which normally rots after not many years anyway).

Robinia is so hard it's difficult to get fencing staples into, apparently!

• Like 1

almost there... 😂🤔 didn't look carefully under the plastic sheet and bench... forgot about a few "slices" to split... but whatever I did split found its way somewhere in the yard 🥳 

don't know WHERE I'll store the rest of this oak but hope dies last 😂 IMG_20240229_103953977_HDR.thumb.jpg.279db456ef864a267ce137de34bdee85.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Gabriel82 said:

almost there... 😂🤔 didn't look carefully under the plastic sheet and bench... forgot about a few "slices" to split... but whatever I did split found its way somewhere in the yard 🥳 

don't know WHERE I'll store the rest of this oak but hope dies last 😂 IMG_20240229_103953977_HDR.thumb.jpg.279db456ef864a267ce137de34bdee85.jpg

extend it upwards or tag another 9 inches on the front. 

Meanwhile... I filled up the entrance/hallway with 1 pallet/960kg of wood briquettes... not sure where they will get stored long term,  but for now I'm ready for the next winter  😁 😎 

Almost...IMG_20240302_061355047.thumb.jpg.499498f831d7c15c82c5b94ef64f4f9d.jpgIMG_20240302_061405587_HDR.thumb.jpg.b2417f66f08d754ffb442ae8faea7f0b.jpgIMG_20240302_061425402_HDR.thumb.jpg.fa8fea712c9ca324d20c291680b4d86e.jpg

was thinking about some coal briquettes too ,but I'll have to find a safe place for those ,if I decide to get some of those too... highly dangerous if ever gets on fire by chance... 

@Peasgood Probably. I never experienced it. They sit in a dry hallway,maybe I'll leave it all 960kg just there as in photo... Was thinking of carry all or at least half in the attic where in summer is constantly 45 degrees Celcius or more. But in this area there are also earthquakes, so is risky... Despite a house of steel reinforced concrete... I often get woken by a shaky bed at night if there's an earthquake bigger than 5 Richter 😂🙄 

960kg over my head doesn't sound good to me 😁 

They do expand while burning in the stove. First time I used these type(before these ,I got only RUF ones), one expanded that much that almost fell out of the stove when  I checked the fire... RUF type don't do this. Since then I break them in 2-3 pieces as the manufacturer says... 

They burn faster than wood logs but it doesn't matter, the stove heats up the same. If I put too many at a time, the main fire box area heats faster but after some time it all evens out! At most a complete cold to hot burn lasts 3-4 hours! And stays hot 10-12 hours. Only problem I experienced is with coal briquettes(not even anthracite...) ,they glow and last a lot longer than any dry wood I ever had and burned. Just sit there on the cast iron grate almost in the same shape I threw them in with glowing red cherry hot while full fresh  air goes through them... I think after about 5 hours they start to become smaller. They give off a lot of heat while doing this ,and only after 6-7 hours they gradually "lose power". Good for a whole night of burning if you ask me. Only thing to be carefull is the amount you throw in and how much fresh air they get... I destroyed many cast iron grates because of coal briquettes and air forgotten wide open... They warp until they break in few smaller pieces... 🙄 🤔 This high power density and safe storage made me think twice before buying... I still have a sack of coal briquettes stored somewhere...  Wood briquettes don't do this. They're a lot more civilized 😁 

I don't see  why you need to bother with briquettes when you can get all the quality oak firwood? 🙂

I'd just stick with rhe oak and maybe get some softwood also for kindling or to mix in for rapid heat etc.

Edited by Stere