Taking on an employee

Excels1or

1 hour ago, Ty Korrigan said:

I feel this way about subby climbers and that puts us off employing any-one.

Still I'm looking for a fresh faced kid with no bad habits to become an apprentice.

One of our work experience lads is interested for September 2024

My subby climbers are often moody tempermental divas.

Late to site, always sleep deprived and stressed, first words usually an optimistic "never get this done in a day let alone a morning"

Stomps back to his van for a Red Bull, vape, black coffee, throwball tantrum, mobile phone diversion before a sudden positive mood swing as whatever he took earlier kicks in.

Strings lunch out as long as he dares only to randomly disappear from site between 3-4pm 

Texts later "oh I thought it was all done"

Sometimes rucks up late to a job having been on an opiates binge for 3 days.

Lane closure, traffic control and 3 groundies stamping feet to keep warm only to say "I can't do this today, don't feel up to it"

Anxiety, depression, emotional wrecks and the pre-Brexit expat climbers were probably running away from something.

Certainly a very good reason to buy a MEWP and quit relying on these twunts.

I’ve set young lads on in the past, only to have them leave once they’ve learnt enough to (sort of) get by with.

I haven’t bothered since the last. I didn’t think it worth my effort or time training someone, to only not get the benefit from them working with me for a few years; after they’d reached a decent, commercial skill level. 

If you can get a good subby climber, who’s on the same wave length as yourself work-wise ; it’s like finding gold. 

Good call re buying a MEWP, a pal of mine has one and since he got it rarely needs subby climbers now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jon Lad said:

I’ve set young lads on in the past, only to have them leave once they’ve learnt enough to (sort of) get by with.

I haven’t bothered since the last. I didn’t think it worth my effort or time training someone, to only not get the benefit from them working with me for a few years; after they’d reached a decent, commercial skill level. 

If you can get a good subby climber, who’s on the same wave length as yourself work-wise ; it’s like finding gold. 

Good call re buying a MEWP, a pal of mine has one and since he got it rarely needs subby climbers now. 

Mewp is just a pipe dream for the moment but one that may become a more solid proposition once I have finished our building renovation.

I once thought I had a good thing going with a young clean living subby climber but he burned out and now fits stoves instead.

• Like 1

I think the issue is in this industry that employer and employees seem to be more like friends (not like in other jobs in my experience) other than the traditional approach to the work place.. This leads to some of the issues highlighted if not managed well (blurred lines).

Edited by Chipperclown
  • Like 1

On 10/04/2023 at 15:44, Ty Korrigan said:

I feel this way about subby climbers and that puts us off employing any-one.

Still I'm looking for a fresh faced kid with no bad habits to become an apprentice.

One of our work experience lads is interested for September 2024

My subby climbers are often moody tempermental divas.

Late to site, always sleep deprived and stressed, first words usually an optimistic "never get this done in a day let alone a morning"

Stomps back to his van for a Red Bull, vape, black coffee, throwball tantrum, mobile phone diversion before a sudden positive mood swing as whatever he took earlier kicks in.

Strings lunch out as long as he dares only to randomly disappear from site between 3-4pm 

Texts later "oh I thought it was all done"

Sometimes rucks up late to a job having been on an opiates binge for 3 days.

Lane closure, traffic control and 3 groundies stamping feet to keep warm only to say "I can't do this today, don't feel up to it"

Anxiety, depression, emotional wrecks and the pre-Brexit expat climbers were probably running away from something.

Certainly a very good reason to buy a MEWP and quit relying on these twunts.

I periodically think about doing more subby climbing but just not sure I've got the required skillset and attitude to do it properly.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

I periodically think about doing more subby climbing but just not sure I've got the required skillset and attitude to do it properly.

Start with pills and work your way up.

Edited by AHPP
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Another massive issue is if you work for someone regularly, not even necessarily full time, the government say you are legally an employee, even if both parties are very happy with an SE relationship.

I’m waiting for this to come up, since I moved 90% of my work has been for Dyno SE. I’ve had 18 months of it, how long can it go on before it gets noticed?…

38 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I’m waiting for this to come up, since I moved 90% of my work has been for Dyno SE. I’ve had 18 months of it, how long can it go on before it gets noticed?…

You're a bona fide subcontractor with your own van and investment in a jetting machine.

It's the labour-only subcontractors that are more of an issue.

• Like 1