Trenching next to a weeping willow

Garthegard

12 minutes ago, Garthegard said:

Thanks for all your replies i really appreciate it. It'll be discharging to watercourse from someone else's property (the legality of that is all sorted). 

Unfortunately it has to go past the trees somehow (it needs to go from the lefthand side of the road to about 50ft the other some of that fence). It's just a case of where and how.

I like the moling idea but I'm not familiar with it so don't know if it's suitable, 6" solid plastic pipe needs to be layed. 

Is this pumped discharge? 6” sounds big for a domestic property… unless you live in a mansion with stacks of people living there.

13 minutes ago, Garthegard said:

Thanks for all your replies i really appreciate it. It'll be discharging to watercourse from someone else's property (the legality of that is all sorted). 

Unfortunately it has to go past the trees somehow (it needs to go from the lefthand side of the road to about 50ft the other some of that fence). It's just a case of where and how.

I like the moling idea but I'm not familiar with it so don't know if it's suitable, 6" solid plastic pipe needs to be layed. 

That really wouldn't be an issue providing the ground wasn't made up of rock, as I said earlier the bore would be10x diameter deep so at five feet down there would be little to no chance of disturbing the tree roots.These machines tow in the pipe as they go, the start hole would have to be long enough to accommodate this.

Bob

In my opinion at 4m away you will be fine to just dig a trench. Willows are incredibly resilient, and you are far enough away that you are highly unlikely to destabilise the tree.

From the pics it looks like at that distance you are digging in the roadway anyway, so you aren’t going to be disturbing anything important root-wise. 
Biggest issue will be making sure the pipes are laid correctly as any weeping joints etc will be a magnet for roots in the future…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I understand it you are contracting to someone who is having to update their system due to it discharging to a watercourse and have an easement over their neighbours land. In my experience domestic sewage treatment plants need a power supply to operate the aeration system. Selecting a system with a pumped discharge would make it easy to install the pipe run without undue disturbance and without any joints or risk of future blockage. 

14 minutes ago, Canal Navvy said:

As I understand it you are contracting to someone who is having to update their system due to it discharging to a watercourse and have an easement over their neighbours land. In my experience domestic sewage treatment plants need a power supply to operate the aeration system. Selecting a system with a pumped discharge would make it easy to install the pipe run without undue disturbance and without any joints or risk of future blockage. 

Not all plants are aerated, in fact many aren’t.