Satisfaction in using your own milled timber

AJStrees

45 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

This is the new little shed I am putting up at work to house the inverter so we can run the sawmill on mains instead of the generator.

It is lawson cypress windblow from a shelter bed planted when the A40 was built nearish a stately home.  I made the head woodsman very happy by saying I would actually pay good money for what he thought was just rubbish timber not even worthy of firewood!

It is lovely timber actually - dries super quick, really stable and strong and durable.  What more could you want?

First photo is the ground prepped with four holes.  Second photo is the posts and basic structure.  Purlins to go on tomorrow, then roofing sheets; floorboards after that, and then cladding next week.  All will be lawson cypress.  It is a very crude but quick and durable build.  No concrete pad, just a bit of postcrete and of course relying on the larger structure next door for a lot of strength and stability.

IMG_8724.thumb.jpeg.94210a674ded2cd3cfb564a68581cd83.jpegIMG_8729.thumb.jpeg.6c548cf4ad24e09e4f0cf15cd82f9a8d.jpeg

That's going to be the biggest inverter I've ever seen!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Squaredy said:

Well, now I am intrigued!  I would have bet my mum's life on that being sweet chestnut.  Good job she isn't here...

So what is it?

Robinia that one.  Very durable. Not widely used over here but other countries like it for decking etc. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

That's going to be the biggest inverter I've ever seen!

Well very likely - 30HP rotary inverter powered by a split phase supply 60A per phase. 

WWW.SCOSARG.COM

22kw / 30hp Rotary phase convertor - Max Single motor load 15kW/20.0hp Our TRANSWAVE single to three phase converter provides an artificial means by which a 3 phase motor can be...

But to be fair even that will only occupy a little corner of the shed.  Just didn't see any point in erecting a tiny shed when there was the space for a decent size one which can house our sharpening equipment as well.  Or just fill up with random junk that I will eventually get round to sorting out one day.....maybe.....!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lux said:

Robinia that one.  Very durable. Not widely used over here but other countries like it for decking etc. 

Ah, well I have only milled one robinia log.  Next time I do I will have to note how similar it is to chestnut.  Thank you for enlightening me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

Ah, well I have only milled one robinia log.  Next time I do I will have to note how similar it is to chestnut.  Thank you for enlightening me.

It’s great timber.  And the offcuts are one of the best firewood’s. I love the stuff. Give a crack. 👍

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I very rarely get offered robinia.  I guess it is not a forest tree in the uk?

Not forest no.  Common in gardens and towns. Self seeds prolifically 

in the states they are suffering from a beetle that’s killing them off so they are felling them all and using the timber from the little I’ve seen. 
makes good decking and cladding etc.  good weather resistance 

• Like 1

We got a few thousand robinia stakes for planting a few years back and the forestry commission made us replace them with soft wood stakes as per spec, which was easy enough straight off our mill  … I have no idea why they did get funny about using them but it always puzzled me how robinia got in to the mill for stakes in the first place. 

• Like 1