Satisfaction in using your own milled timber

AJStrees

5 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Nothing overly glamorous but still good to be able to utilise Douglas and free windblown spruce to knock up a shed over the little woodlands. Using it to mill as much of the timber and build over it as I go, no real plans as such just fag packet engineering and lots of staring with a coffee type of build. 

75E28FB8-5CED-467A-8D31-81E54C468721.jpeg

FF39FA24-3716-477C-8335-E67933CAE5FA.jpeg

staring with a coffee type of build. …” 

Wonderful! I’m stealing that. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 02/04/2023 at 18:59, Johnsond said:

Nothing overly glamorous but still good to be able to utilise Douglas and free windblown spruce to knock up a shed over the little woodlands. Using it to mill as much of the timber and build over it as I go, no real plans as such just fag packet engineering and lots of staring with a coffee type of build. 

75E28FB8-5CED-467A-8D31-81E54C468721.jpeg

FF39FA24-3716-477C-8335-E67933CAE5FA.jpeg

Ive heard Douglas is a very good timber. I presume it mills up quite well 👍

36 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

Ive heard Douglas is a very good timber. I presume it mills up quite well 👍

Yeah decent stuff to work with, good size and price/availability up here. Can be hard on the blades mind. I’d have liked to do some of it in Larch but that was a chunk more expensive. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Yeah decent stuff to work with, good size and price/availability up here. Can be hard on the blades mind. I’d have liked to do some of it in Larch but that was a chunk more expensive. 

Larch has good properties from what I’ve heard. It does well in the ground. Another wood I have yet to try milling. But imagine it’s most useful milling on a bandsaw to get the cuts right. 👍

• 1 month later...

A few photos showing progress on my new inverter shed.  Floorboards are a bit wonky as they are rough sawn and not even planed on a thicknesser.  A few more cladding boards left to do and of course a simple ledge and brace door.  All from Lawson Cypress.

I haven't quite decided if there will be windows.  I think one or two might be sensible otherwise it will be a little dingy.  I mean dark and gloomy not a small boat.  I thought it was spelled dingey but my computer says not...  

IMG_8856.jpeg

IMG_8857.jpeg

• Like 5

And whilst I am at it (showing off that is - even though I didn't do much of the joinery personally) here is my porch - built with Coastal Redwood, and a reclaimed door.  The wall is original of course.

Not exactly finished - little details to do still but generally done and in use.

IMG_8874.jpeg

• Like 8

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got around to installing the Robinia garden set today. 
the table top was in use for a couple of months on a set of saw horses I lent to to the client whilst I fabricated the legs and had them powder coated. Both benches and table all have adjustable feet as the patio is uneven. Came out nice.  
4 years since I felled and milled it in the garden. 
hopefully the little walk around videos uploaded. Looks quite nice. 

2DB5F337-C89A-4BB4-AED9-F4459BF907DB.jpeg

A279A7ED-D3FA-40DE-BD79-228F5322848B.jpeg

095AEFF2-E831-4E3F-BE2B-C4BBC57347FF.jpeg

6ED2A2CC-0F85-4189-BB7A-4632D43D88C8.jpeg

2B86002B-3249-47D1-8617-F72C5B9CC926.jpeg

• Like 15