Satisfaction in using your own milled timber

AJStrees

1 hour ago, lux said:

Not forest no.  Common in gardens and towns. Self seeds prolifically 

in the states they are suffering from a beetle that’s killing them off so they are felling them all and using the timber from the little I’ve seen. 
makes good decking and cladding etc.  good weather resistance 

I think it suckers quite readily too. We have a few on the estate in the same area. Had to fell a large one recently. It had been blown over part way in strong winds. Had been leaning for a while so not sure if it’s worth milling. But yes supposed to be better than oak for durability per the books on woods of the world. 👍

48 minutes ago, MattyF said:

We got a few thousand robinia stakes for planting a few years back and the forestry commission made us replace them with soft wood stakes as per spec, which was easy enough straight off our mill  … I have no idea why they did get funny about using them but it always puzzled me how robinia got in to the mill for stakes in the first place. 

That is puzzling. But also puzzling that Robinia doesn’t get more use or grown for timber if it’s durable. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AJStrees said:

I think it suckers quite readily too. We have a few on the estate in the same area. Had to fell a large one recently. It had been blown over part way in strong winds. Had been leaning for a while so not sure if it’s worth milling. But yes supposed to be better than oak for durability per the books on woods of the world. 👍

Definitely. Tightly grained and has attractive grain too. Due to its growth habit bark pockets are a pain and you can waste a lot of some boards getting the good bits out. Wear a mask for the fine dust when flattening and finishing the boards. Apart from that it’s great stuff. It air dried very evenly and had less movement than most oak I’ve milled.  
👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lux said:

Definitely. Tightly grained and has attractive grain too. Due to its growth habit bark pockets are a pain and you can waste a lot of some boards getting the good bits out. Wear a mask for the fine dust when flattening and finishing the boards. Apart from that it’s great stuff. It air dried very evenly and had less movement than most oak I’ve milled.  
👍

Nice 👍 yeah definitely thinking of milling up some Robinia. Haven’t had the chance until now so could be interesting. 

On 30/03/2023 at 23:25, AJStrees said:

That is puzzling. But also puzzling that Robinia doesn’t get more use or grown for timber if it’s durable. 

We've got a few Robinia Pseudoacacia - Most varieties (like ours) have a natural tendency to be rather wobbly (go all over the place) and certainly sucker. I think the variety they grow in plantations in Hungary where it's the most planted tree is called "ship mast" or something like that. There's a ghost site out there bigging it up as a wonder-tree for Ireland. Pleased to see the inside of it! If we wait fifty years we might have a few bits straight enough!

• Like 1