Satisfaction in using your own milled timber

AJStrees

I have fairly recently had a fair bit of scots pine to mill up with some trees down on the estate. Milling the pine with a chainsaw mill was a bit of an experience as it is quite different to milling hardwoods. 

However it is quite satisfying to be able to use the pine for different things around the estate including tree stakes and making as many of my own stickers as I need. Places I have asked to buy stickers from in the past have wanted £1.40 per sticker. While I am not too concerned about having pressure treated stakes as they only need to be in the ground for 12 months or so, having to buy tree stakes rather than just making my own is also quite a good cost saving. 

Along with that, getting sales from the timber is also a good bonus and I am continually surprised at how far people will travel to come and buy milled timber boards.

• Like 7

Totally agree about satisfaction in using timber you have milled.

I have recently milled several cubic metres of coastal redwood and poplar for projects at my house.  Also milled lots of lawson cypress recently (or white cedar to customers) for various projects.

I just wish I had more time to progress the projects.  Running a small business and a small family gives little real free time.

• Like 6

As a newby it’s a tremendous thrill extracting geometry from chaos. A very rich experience to have things made from something you’ve cut yourself, even if it does mean that our house still has no skirtings or architraves and the cladding is still unfinished …

8C175C13-E0B2-4F13-9C4E-AACA4184F8F2.thumb.jpeg.2129b7bd869c6fd75fa3b0e9b326e717.jpeg

9C22B254-DC00-4EB4-BE1B-A6F9C11FFC4F.thumb.jpeg.7b181f52044e5c5a59d4933499407ad1.jpeg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Totally agree about satisfaction in using timber you have milled.

I have recently milled several cubic metres of coastal redwood and poplar for projects at my house.  Also milled lots of lawson cypress recently (or white cedar to customers) for various projects.

I just wish I had more time to progress the projects.  Running a small business and a small family gives little real free time.

Coast Redwood that must be nice looking timber. One of these days I will have to get a decent Walnut log and mill that just for the pleasure of seeing those fantastic colours. 

any pictures of the redwood you milled? 

1 hour ago, Mr. Ed said:

As a newby it’s a tremendous thrill extracting geometry from chaos. A very rich experience to have things made from something you’ve cut yourself, even if it does mean that our house still has no skirtings or architraves and the cladding is still unfinished …

8C175C13-E0B2-4F13-9C4E-AACA4184F8F2.thumb.jpeg.2129b7bd869c6fd75fa3b0e9b326e717.jpeg

9C22B254-DC00-4EB4-BE1B-A6F9C11FFC4F.thumb.jpeg.7b181f52044e5c5a59d4933499407ad1.jpeg

Love the table. Is it pine? By the looks you’ve got the timber you need to finish it off though. 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJStrees said:

Love the table. Is it pine? By the looks you’ve got the timber you need to finish it off though. 👍

Leyland I think. From the garden just by the house. It’s been in the house since Christmas and I’ll do a bit of refinishing once it’s settled down and stopped moving. 

• Like 1

Pure happenstance, but yesterday I was in a large house(circa 5000 sq ft) self built in about 1996, where all the internal joinery, including a magnificent cut string freestanding staircase, and bespoke doors throughout,  was in oak from a local joinery bloke that had bought in and milled the tree himself, plus a new oak longcase clock built around the works of the remains of a longcase* clock from a local shop in Magherafelt, with the name of the shop proudly displayed on the face. The front door is about 4' wide! All most impressive. And not a blemish, crack, warpage or misalignment to be seen some 27 years later, plus the stairs are all still as tight as a drum..

*No idea what happened the origonal case, perhaps eaten by woodworm?

I would have loved to take pics, but better manners prevailed!

Edited by difflock
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, difflock said:

Pure happenstance, but yesterday I was in a large house(circa 5000 sq ft) self built in about 1996, where all the internal joinery, including a magnificent cut string freestanding staircase, and bespoke doors throughout,  was in oak from a local joinery bloke that had bought in and milled the tree himself, plus a new oak longcase clock built around the works of the remains of a longcase* clock from a local shop in Magherafelt, with the name of the shop proudly displayed on the face. The front door is about 4' wide! All most impressive. And not a blemish, crack, warpage or misalignment to be seen some 27 years later, plus the stairs are all still as tight as a drum..

*No idea what happened the origonal case, perhaps eaten by woodworm?

I would have loved to take pics, but better manners prevailed!

Sounds cracking. Would like to turn some of my milling into something special. 👍