12v battery goosed after a year

scbk

Do you think the vibrations of single cylinder diesel is killing the battery?

I thought this was the 2nd battery, but looking back through old receipts it's actually the 3rd dead battery now on this machine since October 2016!

First 2 were cheapos, but this latest one was a Yuasa, and it has lasted 13 months.

Tested the charging voltage on the machine tonight and it is a nice steady 14.36v throughout the rev range, (which I would think is ideal?) so the regulator must be working?

This Yuasa battery was fine the other week, even when it was sub zero, but today it won't even turn over the warm engine, on the voltmeter you can watch the volts piddle away to nothing, it's like something has suddenly happened to it.

The battery is well secured, but the mounting, (which I made, so I would be to blame!) is mounted to the bottom of the engine mount, and being a single cylinder diesel, it obviously has a few vibrations 

P1080102z.jpg

9 hours ago, woody paul said:

Has it stood out in the rain, I know someone how's tractor did the same turned out to be rain getting in or on battery and messing it up. 

It lives in a shed normally, but does occasionally have to work in inclement weather :bath:

8 hours ago, GarethM said:

Is that a Kubota OC-95, as the charging circuit only puts out 12v 48w, so 4A.

I'm guessing it's just not enough to charge the battery after it's started, are there any electronics aswell?.

Yes oc95, only a small alternator, but the machine usually puts in a fair shift, often used for hours on end (at full revs).

This yuasa battery has gone straight from fine to fooked, not like a normal flat battery

7 minutes ago, scbk said:

Yes oc95, only a small alternator, but the machine usually puts in a fair shift, often used for hours on end (at full revs).

This yuasa battery has gone straight from fine to fooked, not like a normal flat battery

Is it running any electrical solenoids etc, not saying the battery isn't a Friday special but solenoids use a surprisingly large amount of current or maybe current leakage.

Out of interest what's it on machine wise.