Yew buyer wanted

monkeybusiness

5 minutes ago, GarethM said:

On a serious note, are you asking because they baulked at the price of the job ?.

As you said you didn't own the timber and they might use it themselves.

Unless you've got space to store it for a mythical buyer, it's not worth the effort.

Nope. Money isn’t an issue here. 
I’ve been taking trees down for 20 plus years and have never removed yew of this size and quality before.
The comical ‘price per tonne’ figures bandied about are irrelevant. 

1 minute ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’ve been taking trees down for 20 plus years and have never removed yew of this size and quality before.

It's like having a very high specced and rare machine. It might be 'worth XXXX' but it's only worth what someone will pay for it which means a lower price or waiting for the right person.

• Like 1

I wasn't questioning you're abilities, the low price per ton however isn't far off as a general rule as at worst it's firewood.

Now, if you wanted to fell it into hgv sized lengths then see if it sells that's a different ball game as you can then photograph it.

Just now, doobin said:

It's like having a very high specced and rare machine. It might be 'worth XXXX' but it's only worth what someone will pay for it which means a lower price or waiting for the right person.

Not wrong. 
I have a great oak buyer who has an outlet supplying the Japanese market with a specific product based on extremely wide boards - he pays top money for timber that most consider oversized.

There will definitely be a buyer out there for big yew sticks (there aren’t many pieces of timber out there like these) and I’ll research it next week - I thought I’d ask on here on the off-chance someone knows of such a buyer. But I had forgotten about the hobbyists, armchair experts and mongs who frequent the place in fairness! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, monkeybusiness said:

Knock em, bring them home and mill them/cut turning blanks, stack n strap them and forget it for a year or two. It'll be worth well over 1k per cubic meter.

Unplaned yew here is about €2k per cube. Even if you sell half you're on a winner. 

Talking firewood prices, small, crappy, forked and chalara infected ash I helped knock late last year sold at €110 per ton roadside. 

Dirty oversize stuff is getting 50-60 quid alright because a lot of processors can't take it so there's less competition for it as a result.

Personally if I got decent yew there's no way I'd take "common wood" tonnage prices for it. 

If it was viable for you to debark them I'd consider importing a load. There's always someone asking for yew and I never have any.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conor Wright said:

Knock em, bring them home and mill them/cut turning blanks, stack n strap them and forget it for a year or two. It'll be worth well over 1k per cubic meter.

Unplaned yew here is about €2k per cube. Even if you sell half you're on a winner. 

Talking firewood prices, small, crappy, forked and chalara infected ash I helped knock late last year sold at €110 per ton roadside. 

Dirty oversize stuff is getting 50-60 quid alright because a lot of processors can't take it so there's less competition for it as a result.

Personally if I got decent yew there's no way I'd take "common wood" tonnage prices for it. 

If it was viable for you to debark them I'd consider importing a load. There's always someone asking for yew and I never have any.

It is not as rare as you might think.  I was offered two lots of about one hundred and twenty tons of good quality yew milling logs about three years ago.  They included quite a few big stems and as far as I know they failed to sell.  Price was about £100 per ton.

As has been said it is all about having a buyer, and in the UK they are a bit thin on the ground.

• Like 4