Yew buyer wanted

monkeybusiness

4 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

So do you have a price in  mind, and an estimate of volume?

No (but needs to be around the price of a helicopter with leather seats and fold out wheels like Airwolf) and no - I didn’t even take pics today. The owner might keep the timber and use it himself but a decent buyer would probably sway him to sell. 
5 decent sized straight single-stemmed ‘maiden’ yews, DBH of the biggest approx 30’’ (possibly a bit more), they are 50-60 feet tall. There is a lot of nice useable timber in them. We will be craning them out so aren’t restricted on size of lumps, and they won’t get beaten up during removal. I’m toying with doing the job for the timber (which would be a first for me, and it’s not because I need the work, I’m just trying to work out if that’s the most profitable route for this job). 

21 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

No (but needs to be around the price of a helicopter with leather seats and fold out wheels like Airwolf) and no - I didn’t even take pics today. The owner might keep the timber and use it himself but a decent buyer would probably sway him to sell. 
5 decent sized straight single-stemmed ‘maiden’ yews, DBH of the biggest approx 30’’ (possibly a bit more), they are 50-60 feet tall. There is a lot of nice useable timber in them. We will be craning them out so aren’t restricted on size of lumps, and they won’t get beaten up during removal. I’m toying with doing the job for the timber (which would be a first for me, and it’s not because I need the work, I’m just trying to work out if that’s the most profitable route for this job). 

Sounds like it could be most of a lorry load - maybe fifteen tons or more anyway.  Probably worth around £1500 to £2000 as sawlogs to the right person.  Of course it is worth a lot more if milled, but only if that person knows how to dry and sell the timber.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Squaredy said:

Sounds like it could be most of a lorry load - maybe fifteen tons or more anyway.  Probably worth around £1500 to £2000 as sawlogs to the right person.  Of course it is worth a lot more if milled, but only if that person knows how to dry and sell the timber.

That’s firewood money!

• Haha 1