Boring post inbound - What MPG do your arb vans do in day to day work?

Clutchy

64 plate Iveco Daily 3.5 ton 20-21mpg usually towing 1.5 ton chipper

04 plate remapped Disco 2 auto 21 mpg often towing 

Series 3 Land Rover with 2.5 NA Diesel, who knows what mpg

Wife's all electric Hyundai recently did 140 mile trip on £4, using our Octopus energy electricity. Even cheaper in summer from our photovoltaic panels!

Just a pity decent size vans/tippers can't have such nice economy, but I guess moving trees from A to B needs lots of energy, as does towing MEWPs chippers etc

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Why 56? 56mph is 90km/h so slightly arbitrary speed that got picked and set as European standard for comparison between manufacturers, it is very likely to be more economical at 50mph.

On a manual box 50 is not quite the sweet spot in top gear (6th) . Its not exactly laboring but get it up to 56-58 and you can back off the throttle and hold it at that speed on the dead flat with no head wind . 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Why 56? 56mph is 90km/h so slightly arbitrary speed that got picked and set as European standard for comparison between manufacturers, it is very likely to be more economical at 50mph.

56 got picked and so became the target sweetspot for all manufacturers to aim for I'd guess. No point making a vehicle perform best at a speed nobody measures at. 

It is even more economical at 40mph but not really practical. 

8 hours ago, Stubby said:

On a manual box 50 is not quite the sweet spot in top gear (6th) . Its not exactly laboring but get it up to 56-58 and you can back off the throttle and hold it at that speed on the dead flat with no head wind . 

If you let one rip that would be back wind causing you to open the window also reducing MPG fuel consumption 🤣

21 hours ago, Clutchy said:

Currently looking to renew our fleet and as we spend around 2.5k + a month on diesel across 4 vehicles, 10-20% better economy can make a small difference to profits.

Here are mine: 

2007 Transit tipper (Tows a mix of 650kg 5 inch chipper and 1,500kg 8 inch chipper) - 18.5 mpg 

2017 Transit tipper (Tows a mix of 650kg 5 inch chipper and 1,500kg 8 inch chipper) - 22.5 mpg

2017 3.2l Ford ranger (Tows 3.5t MEWP and 3.5t log trailer) - 21 mpg when towing approx 24-30 when not. 

2014 transit connect eco something (Used for quoting and stump grinding) - 55 mpg 

Looking to change to a 150bhp 2022 FUSO canters 

I'd be looking for reliability rather than ultra economy. Tales of woe abound of small 'eco' engines with bi turbos and God knows what else simply not being up to the task of an Arb truck, and consequently shitting the bed.

Moving trees and chippers uses diesel- it's unavoidable as you well know. A few quid extra in diesel is nothing compared to the loss of a day's money added to a teams wages due to a breakdown.

Most importantly, I'm sure @dig-dug-dan has had a lot of problems with recent Canters.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 15/02/2023 at 18:53, Clutchy said:

Currently looking to renew our fleet and as we spend around 2.5k + a month on diesel across 4 vehicles, 10-20% better economy can make a small difference to profits.

Here are mine: 

2007 Transit tipper (Tows a mix of 650kg 5 inch chipper and 1,500kg 8 inch chipper) - 18.5 mpg 

2017 Transit tipper (Tows a mix of 650kg 5 inch chipper and 1,500kg 8 inch chipper) - 22.5 mpg

2017 3.2l Ford ranger (Tows 3.5t MEWP and 3.5t log trailer) - 21 mpg when towing approx 24-30 when not. 

2014 transit connect eco something (Used for quoting and stump grinding) - 55 mpg 

Looking to change to a 150bhp 2022 FUSO canters 

I don't think you will get much better in the canters. Our daily truck is the 7.5toner Isuzu, average 15mpg. Isuzu D-max 20mpg. Navara 29mpg. We have hit peak efficiency I believe. Weight with air drag means we can only get so much.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, finchyo said:

I don't think you will get much better in the canters. Our daily truck is the 7.5toner Isuzu, average 15mpg. Isuzu D-max 20mpg. Navara 29mpg. We have hit peak efficiency I believe. Weight with air drag means we can only get so much.

Damn, guess I'll have to hold out for Hydrogen technology as I don't think electric is the answer. 

Highly doubt they test them overweight and towing a big chipper, I bet the winter range is about 20 miles 😂

Did a test on a 45 mile round trip today. Some hills, some flat. Must be around 6t train weight. I drove as carefully as I could, but when you are driving a loaded works truck anticipating for slowing down and trying to avoid braking is about the sum of ‘economy driving’- you need to burn diesel to get up hills or up to speed, that’s all there really is to it. 

20mpg average. 

2B19CA72-0816-40A5-B535-16C0B2BFD9B7.jpeg

• Like 6