Milling greenheart

nooie

8 minutes ago, nooie said:

Has anyone ever tried milling greenheart with a circular hand saw? I have a lot of greenheart I want to mill into beams to build a house. 

Thanks

N

Not a chance in hell will you mill like that. If you have a large quantity to mill then get a chainsaw mill type setup Rob D from chainsaw bars does a starter kit.

Chainsawbars

Chainsaw mill
on a budget

Edited by topchippyles

13 minutes ago, nooie said:

Has anyone ever tried milling greenheart with a circular hand saw? I have a lot of greenheart I want to mill into beams to build a house. 

Thanks

N

I’m home at min but back up in Lochmaddy from Thursday onwards ( weather and ferry permitting) and can-easy take a look, it’s a bastard to mill and the dust  is not good for you, is the timber off old piers etc ??. PM me as ive a decent 880 and Alaskan set up as well as the Trakmet mobile saw but that would be a bit of hassle to get over 😂 Shame as the stellite tipped blades do cope ok with it. . 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Johnsond said:

I’m home at min but back up in Lochmaddy from Thursday onwards ( weather and ferry permitting) and can-easy take a look, it’s a bastard to mill and the dust  is not good for you, is the timber off old piers etc ??. PM me as ive a decent 880 and Alaskan set up as well as the Trakmet mobile saw but that would be a bit of hassle to get over 😂 Shame as the stellite tipped blades do cope ok with it. . 

The Stellite tipped bands that you mention will no doubt be the best solution for milling this long since seasoned timber... but alternatively perhaps if milling with a chainsaw it would be an ideal opportunity to use Stihl Rapid Duro Tungsten Carbide chain.

From previous experience seasoned Greenheart is very hard on [ destructive ] any ordinary chain, cheers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Macpherson said:

The Stellite tipped bands that you mention will no doubt be the best solution for milling this long since seasoned timber... but alternatively perhaps if milling with a chainsaw it would be an ideal opportunity to use Stihl Rapid Duro Tungsten Carbide chain.

From previous experience seasoned Greenheart is very hard on [ destructive ] any ordinary chain, cheers.

Cheers for the info, any idea on sharpening protocols with the tips and availability for an 880. 

3 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Cheers for the info, any idea on sharpening protocols with the tips and availability for an 880. 

Never used them for milling but we had a few short chains for working on dirty stuff, very frustrating as the cut so slow in comparison to a standard chain.

The guys seldom brought them back but I did a few by replacing the cutting disc in the chain grinder with a diamond disc for saw sharpening, slow job and it didn't form the gullet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muddy42 said:

This whole thread is a wind up, right?

Maybe I’m too trusting 🤷‍♂️That thought never crossed my mind. I know my big Makita circular will do most things and I’m sure Andy has a 300mm or bigger blade model which I guess could do the job 🤷‍♂️Who knows. 

Edited by Johnsond