Milling greenheart

nooie

6 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Cheers for the info, any idea on sharpening protocols with the tips and availability for an 880. 

No Idea on availability but as for sharpening I don't see it being impossibly difficult although I've never tried it.

I get TCT table saw blades sharpened frequently at a very low cost which I'd guess is done on a jig with a stone as are all other TCT tools so presumably a chain would be easy to do with a disc type sharpening jig with the correct disc

As @openspaceman said it may not be a pleasure to sharpen.. but not impossible, after all there are many engineering too that are TC tipped and they all get sharpened.

Any chain that's put through dirt will sooner or later be scrap but presumably you'd be trying to avoid that.

When I was young there was a pier building / repair business with a local yard so there was a lot of Greenheart kicking about the area and at that time I had no idea of it's true value and used it for many different things including firewood🙃 never really thought to much about cutting it .. I just cut it because you couldn't split it... It was it's weight that stuck in my mind at the time.

And to the OP, I'd give it a go with a circular saw just to see... maybe taking multiple shallow cuts.. if it eats the blade you can always get it sharpened.

Cheers.

1 minute ago, Muddy42 said:

- the idea you could make beams with a circular saw

- the idea you could chainsaw mill enough wood of the right length and quality to build a house

- compounded by the fact that the intention is to reuse greenheart.

A Lucas or Peterson Mill is a Circular Saw. Obviously a Swing Blade but a Circular Saw none the less. 

I can cut 6” with my Makita Circular Saw. If I had 6” Slabs I could easily cut Beams.

Milling enough wood to build a house with an Alaskan is certainly not an inviting prospect but certainly possible depending on what you hope to achieve. Perhaps he’s just looking to build a frame with it and not the fixings? 

Greenhearts the main issue here and most likely the reason he’s here.

I don’t know why you’re being such a knob about it?

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

A Lucas or Peterson Mill is a Circular Saw. Obviously a Swing Blade but a Circular Saw none the less. 

I can cut 6” with my Makita Circular Saw. If I had 6” Slabs I could easily cut Beams.

Milling enough wood to build a house with an Alaskan is certainly not an inviting prospect but certainly possible depending on what you hope to achieve. Perhaps he’s just looking to build a frame with it and not the fixings? 

Greenhearts the main issue here and most likely the reason he’s here.

I don’t know why you’re being such a knob about it?

Sorry Andy , I misunderstood thinking the OP meant a handheld circular saw not a Lucas.  Some of these handheld saws struggle to get through 2 inches of oak so would be pretty ineffective on greenheart.  I mill with two big saws, an alaskan mill and a full sized Manitou to lift wood, but even then the thought of milling enough structural wood for a house is pretty daunting.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

Sorry Andy , I misunderstood thinking the OP meant a handheld circular saw not a Lucas.  Some of these handheld saws struggle to get through 2 inches of oak so would be pretty ineffective on greenheart.  I mill with two big saws, an alaskan mill and a full sized Manitou to lift wood, but even then the thought of milling enough structural wood for a house is pretty daunting.

I’d certainly not like to take that job on either. 😳

Im in the middle of milling 6” beams for a cabin build. But that’s simple enough with a Bandsaw. 

I’ve just bought a mid-range cordless DeWalt Circular Saw. I was quite impressed when it ripped through 2” oak. Cross grain though. 

I do like my big Makita. 😁

3C8DF1FF-BC5E-4081-9C0B-7AE95E60BD27.jpeg

3 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

- the idea you could make beams with a circular saw

- the idea you could chainsaw mill enough wood of the right length and quality to build a house

- compounded by the fact that the intention is to reuse greenheart.

Hi, I only have an Alaskan so if I need 4, 5, or 6" x 2"s for example out of something that I've milled I simply slice it to size with a big Makita.. it works a treat, cheers.

3 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Well wind up or not it won’t be me trying to mill it, no response from the op and currently onboard the ferry to lochmaddy, with the 880 safely tucked away at home. 

An 880 would feel totally lost on Uist anyway, not enough trees and everyone burning peat.

Milling Greenheart  the only timber my 880 and Alaskan bounced off normally the chain will feed itself into the cut but Greenheart I had to kinda propper make it cut into it but when it was in the cut it wasnt too bad ,comes up real nice put through a planer .I would defo have a go at milling some more but not enough to build a house though but a nice dining table would be cool

• Like 2

On 09/02/2023 at 17:00, Muddy42 said:

An 880 would feel totally lost on Uist anyway, not enough trees and everyone burning peat.

That’s little plantation I mentioned earlier, but if it’s windblown but the remainder is hanging on in there. Most of it could be milled with a 180. 

71762829-1430-4A9E-AC46-52A6422C7824.jpeg