Milling greenheart

nooie

Thanks for all the replies and sorry Johnsond that I hadn't been back to check on the post. I am indeed looking to build a timber frame to build a house. I wouldn't use greenheart other than just the frame and maybe some steps and stuff. I will clad it in Larch. We do actually have tree on Uist. Langais woodland is a small community forest planted in the 50s I think. Theres also a 1300 acre forest on the North West side of the island where I live. I did think I'd try a few test cuts with my wee circular saw, but have already ordered a Husky 592 and maybe borow a neighbours Alaskan mill. 

1 hour ago, nooie said:

Thanks for all the replies and sorry Johnsond that I hadn't been back to check on the post. I am indeed looking to build a timber frame to build a house. I wouldn't use greenheart other than just the frame and maybe some steps and stuff. I will clad it in Larch. We do actually have tree on Uist. Langais woodland is a small community forest planted in the 50s I think. Theres also a 1300 acre forest on the North West side of the island where I live. I did think I'd try a few test cuts with my wee circular saw, but have already ordered a Husky 592 and maybe borow a neighbours Alaskan mill. 

Well there’s a few bits coming out that might be up for grabs on the work at Lochmaddy pier, I’ve put a few of the longer bits aside already those in pic are off the surface measuring 300x350mm. I’d make sure your pals Alaskan has a winch for the sake of your back. I’ve had a wander around the woods you mention on a quiet Sunday. 

A7D12EA7-027C-4D5F-B45F-0DBD3FE92B71.jpeg

14A0F94B-7FA2-4C85-A0B8-22FFEFA1A44D.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Well there’s a few bits coming out that might be up for grabs on the work at Lochmaddy pier, I’ve put a few of the longer bits aside already those in pic are off the surface measuring 300x350mm. I’d make sure your pals Alaskan has a winch for the sake of your back. I’ve had a wander around the woods you mention on a quiet Sunday. 

A7D12EA7-027C-4D5F-B45F-0DBD3FE92B71.jpeg

14A0F94B-7FA2-4C85-A0B8-22FFEFA1A44D.jpeg

Johnsond, I'll maybe see you tomorrow then. I was speaking to Bobby earlier about picking up that wood tomorrow. I'll have a white Valtra tractor.

3 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

@nooie  and @Johnsond  if you go near Langlass wood with a chainsaw you'll have The Estate and every eco group under the sun after you!

It's owned by the community now. I've been in a few times clearing out some trees that have fallen over the tracks. I think there's another local guy doing some cutting in there now too. Wasn't me who left the high stumps by the way ;)

Edited by nooie

18 minutes ago, nooie said:

Johnsond, I'll maybe see you tomorrow then. I was speaking to Bobby earlier about picking up that wood tomorrow. I'll have a white Valtra tractor.

No Probs 

Most of GL guys are away for the weekend but we will be down on Pier. Guess you saw it stacked in pen area ??, there’s a few more up in slaughterhouse car park too. 

2 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

No Probs 

Most of GL guys are away for the weekend but we will be down on Pier. Guess you saw it stacked in pen area ??, there’s a few more up in slaughterhouse car park too. 

I'll see you tomorrow then..

14 hours ago, nooie said:

It's owned by the community now. I've been in a few times clearing out some trees that have fallen over the tracks. I think there's another local guy doing some cutting in there now too. Wasn't me who left the high stumps by the way ;)

My apologies I stand corrected, I thought most of the island still belonged to North Uist Estate.  Lovely part of the world, my I go there most years.