Detect wood burning stove indoor pollution

22 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Can you enlighten me on the yew and laurel?

Laurel can give off cyanide - OK if it is drying outside but if you have it inside (perhaps to dry of a bit more before burning) then there -could- be a problem

In an open fire that released smoke into the room (as the OP) again could be a problem

Yew, no idea, thought it was OK. Don't eat the seeds they are poisonous but burning thought was OK

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Laurel can give off cyanide - OK if it is drying outside but if you have it inside (perhaps to dry of a bit more before burning) then there -could- be a problem

In an open fire that released smoke into the room (as the OP) again could be a problem

Yew, no idea, thought it was OK. Don't eat the seeds they are poisonous but burning thought was OK

An eccentric cat lady once asked what I'd do with the Laurel removed from her property, she was horrified when I said I'd burn it as she believed Laurel holds evil spirits within it and burning would release them into the world. I said it'd be fine as I've a Rowan near the front door which supposedly wards off evil spirits from entering the house but she was sure her superstition superceded mine!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug Tait said:

An eccentric cat lady once asked what I'd do with the Laurel removed from her property, she was horrified when I said I'd burn it as she believed Laurel holds evil spirits within it and burning would release them into the world. I said it'd be fine as I've a Rowan near the front door which supposedly wards off evil spirits from entering the house but she was sure her superstition superceded mine!

I've got my rowan tree by the back gate - between mine and the cemetery, for much the same reason.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steven P said:

Laurel can give off cyanide -

Yes but I think it is the act of crushing the leaves which produces it, which is why I wouldn't shovel chipped laurel in an enclosed space. Cyanide is highly reactive so I doubt it would survive a fire.

2 hours ago, Steven P said:

Yew contains an alkaloid poison, smoke from putting fresh foliage on a fire and inhaling is supposed to contain the poison. I doubt it but avoiding dense smoke is sensible anyway. Forty  years ago an NT forest worker was tasked with burning yew clippings and took ill, he never worked again and was subsequently evicted from his tied cottage, I never got to know  the reasons for this.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Poisonous fumes. Well, particulates.

I did wonder! But I assumed of the wood was seasoned it shouldn't really give off the toxins, and on a stove it would be ok? Open fire would be ok as long as excessive smoke doesnt eminate into the room

Edited by dig-dug-dan
Spelling

Yew and laurel is very dangerous, and the ONLY safe method of disposal is to send it to me, where I will decontaminate it for you, whilst keeping my toes warm.

Re the OP, having an open fire and some fancy meter to measure stuff in the air seems an odd combination of technology. Get a stove. :001_huh:

• Like 2