Which portable winch

Recommendations for a decent portable winch - minimum 1 ton pulling capacity for pulling timber up a steep woodland, and a reasonable speed required. My truck winch is not suitable - far too slow and not designed for this job.

On this particular job the timber has unfortunately been cut short requiring multiple grabs of small bits so I do not need a winch with the highest pulling capacity. Not too slow a pull.

Looking at:

PCW5000

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

I keep looking at the Eder range too. Seems not worth fitting one to the truck, get one of these and keep it in the dry. Think @openspaceman has one.

Yes and I like it, it is 2 speed but still slower than a tractor winch and a big point I like is that it only revs up and engages drive when you pull the tail end of the rope. It also holds the tension if required.

Capstan need a different approach to rope management as the pull puts a twist in the rope which  moves down the rope with the pull so is best sorted after each pull.

@lux also has one.

Edited by openspaceman

19 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

it only revs up and engages drive when you pull the tail end of the rope. It also holds the tension if required.

I have one that doesn't rev and clutch and wish I did. Massive plus.

• Like 1

I've got the Eder powerwinch from Treadlight forestry . Never ceases to impress me what it will drag out the woods. 

TREADLIGHTFORESTRY.CO.UK

The EDER Powerwinch 1200 portable capstan winch is the all rounder among the EDER Powerwinches. It is characterised...

@Treadlight Forestry.

He's a top bloke as well .👍

Edited by Stihllymok
  • Like 2

Choice of a capstan winches will be between PCW 500, Docma 105 Red Iron and Eder 1800. They all pull a tonne and about 2 tonne with block, the Eder will pull more with out block (1.800 tonne) but most expensive (£1950 + VAT).  The Docma Red Iron is the cheapest (£1200 + VAT).  The PCW 500 (£1495 + VAT) is the slowest (12 or 18m/min depending on drum fitted), the Eder the fastest 12m/min and 24m/min depending on gear selected, the Docma 20m/min (with block about 10m/min 2 tonne). 

If you have the funding and a lot of use for winch probably Eder best option otherwise Docma good value and well made winch. We have used a Docma for over 4 years and nothing worn out as yet although have had to replace some damaged parts - Treadlight Forestry provide very good backup and advice if required.

The winch we find is good for taking down hung up trees, directional felling and extraction of firewood, the winch performs best when tension on rope so good pulling up hill, when pulling downhill if log slides or rolls the rope can slacken and the rope may then get tangled up one drum.  Skid cone well worth buying (£139 +vat). 

Edited by Vedhoggar
  • Like 3