Where Do You Chuck Your Stove Ash?

Where do you dump your stove ash? I've seen quite a few comments about spreading it in your flowerbeds as it's good for the plants but we don't have any flowerbeds to speak of.

I've been piling it in one corner in the garden and it just keeps growing and is a pile of horrible mush when it rains.

I was thinking the easiest is chuck it in the green - garden waste bin as it's not being filled with grass in the winter .... unless anybody knows of any reasons I shouldn't?

57 minutes ago, Witterings said:

Where do you dump your stove ash? I've seen quite a few comments about spreading it in your flowerbeds as it's good for the plants but we don't have any flowerbeds to speak of.

I've been piling it in one corner in the garden and it just keeps growing and is a pile of horrible mush when it rains.

I was thinking the easiest is chuck it in the green - garden waste bin as it's not being filled with grass in the winter .... unless anybody knows of any reasons I shouldn't?

I tip the ash out into a metal bucket and leave out the back door for 24 hours or so. Then bag it up and bin it when I’m sure it’s stone cold. 

Hardwood ash is supposedly good for flowerbeds but not softwood, so as I burn a mix I never put it in the garden. Not to mention all the other crap I dump in the stove. ☠️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, woody paul said:

My neighbour has put his wood burner ash on his compost heap twice now when still a little hot and set fire to it. 

Aye. Some folk are just daft as a brush. Had a friend put warm/hot ash into one of those rubber buckets and put it out on his new decking. Needless to say he needed a new rubber bucket ... and some new decking.

It's just common sense. But sadly in all to many these days, that commodity is a tad lacking.

.... says the guy that slightly melted the brush whilst sweeping up slightly warm ash this morning. To be fair, this WAS before my coffee.

I let the ash build up until a woman visits. On the one occasion it built up to falling out of the doors and no woman arrived, I hoovered it out until the hoovers failed and then threw the rest over some brambles out the back. It really doesn't need doing every day. My burner can be left for months. New fires make old ash condense significantly.