Help in return for firewood.

Thomas younger

Hi I have inherited my little brother's belongings and equipment after he passed away and want to put them to good use. We have two burners at home and with the way bills are I'm desperately trying to keep the house warm for my boy and miss.

I'm trying to offer my services either chopping wood for someone who struggles in return for some myself or to do some labour and get some wood in return.

Local to bishop Auckland if possible please however I'm willing to travel.

Cheers Tom 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Someone else that follows my principles in making it work for both parties....call it bartering and good to see...any takers?

Whilst it sounds like a good idea is it in reality?

How much logs would he realistically split in a day? Let’s assume a Maul and he does maybe 3 cubes bags. The owner lets him take 1 cube bag  which he then needs to transport home then season for 6 months minimum. 

He’d be better off just doing 8 hours regular work then paying the (if living wage) £80 for a bag of nicely seasoned logs delivered to his door. 

5 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Whilst it sounds like a good idea is it in reality?

How much logs would he realistically split in a day? Let’s assume a Maul and he does maybe 3 cubes bags. The owner lets him take 1 cube bag  which he then needs to transport home then season for 6 months minimum. 

He’d be better off just doing 8 hours regular work then paying the (if living wage) £80 for a bag of nicely seasoned logs delivered to his door. 

Andy not every thing in life is all about money, some of us really do enjoy what we do and i am one of them even now i still enjoy a few days on the saw, extracting timber with my little Kubota or cutting and splitting firewood in the building, i would think some people who have been doing the job 40plus years would be fed up with it but i still really enjoy it,, 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Andy not every thing in life is all about money, some of us really do enjoy what we do and i am one of them even now i still enjoy a few days on the saw, extracting timber with my little Kubota or cutting and splitting firewood in the building, i would think some people who have been doing the job 40plus years would be fed up with it but i still really enjoy it,, 

I absolutely agree not everything’s about money. But you’ve also got to work smart. I do days in exchange. Milling for Stump Grinder Hire, tree work, Oak etc. I’ve done work lately that will get me two days work with a builder removing a structural wall in the house. 

I just don’t see how chopping someone else’s logs for them for a cut of logs is in anyway shape or form a good use of time or energy.  For the insignificant outlay for a load of unprocessed logs he should spend the day splitting his own logs and reap the rewards of this therapy. A 5t load of processor grade larch delivered round my way is £350. It’s basically mill grade so I’ll buy some for that. For that money he’s be in therapeutic heaven for days on end and fill 12-15 dumpy bags all for himself instead of being thrown a bag a day for his efforts. 

Each to their own though.  Some folk just love having the piss ripped out of themselves and nothing will deter them otherwise. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, dumper said:

Why does he take a bag of logs ? Surely he should get unprocessed logs to cut and split in his own time, this makes financial sense. A days labour for a truckload of unprocessed timber I think is cheap labour, he already has the gear 

That works as well. 

Manual labour = minimum wage. He can slog his guts out for someone else all day long and take eighty quids worth of unprocessed logs. 

He can come work for me any time he likes. 🤣

29 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

That works as well. 

Manual labour = minimum wage. He can slog his guts out for someone else all day long and take eighty quids worth of unprocessed logs. 

He can come work for me any time he likes. 🤣

Some people are time rich and cash poor I’ve been in that position if it works who are we to judge eighty pounds of unprocessed logs collected is a whole lot more than a bag

Edited by dumper
  • Like 2

Great idea Tom, I’ve had these types of deals with guys over the years and still do.

Yesterday my friend was out with his winch and he passed me up a big chain, it was his cousins that he lost over 20 years ago!  It’s a part of him that keeps his memory going!

I hope you manage to find some peace in using your brothers tools doing something he must of loved and involving your son in the process.  There’s so much more to log processing with your family than saving money.

• Like 10