Oak logs not burning

6 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Don’t clean the ash out from underneath then. Let it fall through and build up til it can’t fall through anymore. Both my Stoves are multi-fuel and I can’t say I have an issue with the ash falling through even when fully cleaned out. 

Likewise I don't have trouble and find the ash soon builds up on the grate, but if yours doesn't try a bit of tin foil spread across the grate before you build your fire.  It'll stop the ash dropping through.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pacemaker1000 said:

That was my idea!

On way to have a piece of steel fabricated to cover 99% of holes. 
I’ll report back

cheers all

Will most likely warp. Nice and chunky, maybe 1/2” thick? Just a rectangle plate covering 70-90% of the grate area will be enough. Nothing fancy or expensive. 

My stove was multi-fuel but I bought the conversion kit to convert it to just wood.

I find to get the best fire it needs space above the wood, so I keep the ash down to an inch or so and by removing the grate I get several inches more space.

This helps when burning large lumps of wood or something like oak. Once the fire is going it doesn't have much of a problem burning anything. I had more problems when it was a multi-fuel stove.

29 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

My stove was multi-fuel but I bought the conversion kit to convert it to just wood.

I find to get the best fire it needs space above the wood, so I keep the ash down to an inch or so and by removing the grate I get several inches more space.

This helps when burning large lumps of wood or something like oak. Once the fire is going it doesn't have much of a problem burning anything. I had more problems when it was a multi-fuel stove.

Yep did much the same to ours. Just removed the grate and leave a bed of ash in the ash pan so not to burn it out and making lighting easier

Oak is a premium firewood.

It is more expensive than others like chestnut for good reason.

Now if it isn’t then firewood merchants have been pulling an Emperor’s new clothes gig for hundreds of years which while not impossible is very very unlikely.

Or some people aren’t seasoning it properly or they don’t know how to light a fire.

I know what my money is on.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Pacemaker1000 said:

Bought kiln dried oak logs as supposed to last longer but it’s really hard to get them to stay alight?

top down lighting and loads of oxygen, especially since I added an external direct vent, and softwood burns furiously. But when kindle is gone the logs go out and I have to add loads more kindle, I’m going through more of this than oak…lol.

all logs show moister of no more than 10% but maybe more in the centre

thanks

edit…forget to say both top and bottom vents are permanently fully open!

Have you got a flue thermometer? If that’s warming up and the oak isn’t burning despite being correct moisture then there’s something going astray