Tree planting wasted efforts......

Stere

Sadly that is not going to be possible, shoots use set aside areas as they are used in rotation and as a result change yearly.

The only decline is generally urban areas as apposed to farmland, farmers manage the land with many having replanted hedgerows as we know our environment.

11 hours ago, GarethM said:

Sadly that is not going to be possible, shoots use set aside areas as they are used in rotation and as a result change yearly.

The only decline is generally urban areas as apposed to farmland, farmers manage the land with many having replanted hedgerows as we know our environment.

I’m not sure it is just an urban decline and need for trees in urban areas, over the years I’ve seen hedgerows in rural areas taken out to make larger fields and also for construction and house building.

To counter that I have also seen new hedges planted, however in the same way that single trees require aftercare so do hedgerows. A large vineyard near me has recently put in new multiple hedgerows and also plugged gaps in others with new plantings. Since they have planted them there seems to have been no aftercare and some of the small trees are now so engulfed in brambles that they’ll soon be dead, if not already.

As we know there are issues in the urban and semi urban environment with the net loss of trees to make way for building but I believe that there are still losses in the rural areas and gains can be made. I would be interested to see what is proposed in the ICF seminar and how they plan on engaging with farmers to make way for trees when there is pressure on arable land. I personally haven’t been involved in farming since the Ford 4610 and 6610 were all the rage, so about 20 odd years ago!    

I'm interested, but can already guess they'll beat the climate change drum expecting farmers to sacrifice land and trying to change subsidies, I receive nothing and manage mine out of my own pocket.

If they wanted to solve the land part of the problem, go speak to the mod and the king. Thousands of acres of crown estate and Salisbury plain etc which they could start reforesting from the road side without any real sacrifice or objection.

22 hours ago, GarethM said:

I'm interested, but can already guess they'll beat the climate change drum expecting farmers to sacrifice land and trying to change subsidies, I receive nothing and manage mine out of my own pocket.

If they wanted to solve the land part of the problem, go speak to the mod and the king. Thousands of acres of crown estate and Salisbury plain etc which they could start reforesting from the road side without any real sacrifice or objection.

I’m sure the climate change aspect will feature heavily for sure. 

Good point about crown estate/Salisbury plain etc, we seem to be primarily focused on urban planting at the moment to provide shading, carbon sequestration, water absorption etc bit that brings its own issues and challenges. Planting in hard sites in the street landscape is hugely expensive, conflicts with utilities, driveways, visibility splays, narrow footways, future footway damage. One thing I have noticed recently is that some councils and organisations have created roles for tree planting coordinators or project managers but they have little knowledge of the urban street landscape in relation to the conflicts listed previously and believe we can literally plant anywhere.  

I was on a call the other day with a guy from the Woodland Trust and he was tasked with engaging with landowners to improve tree stocks. From my understanding there are grants available so maybe worth looking into? 

WWW.WOODLANDTRUST.ORG.UK

Helping you to plant lots of trees with grants and funding schemes.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2022 at 10:45, coppice cutter said:

Must be pretty bad when even the BBC are flagging it up.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Governments that make forest restoration promises they don't keep are accused of greenwashing.

You're a farmer, aren't you?

What do you think about landowners being paid by Corporations to sequester carbon - apart from the obvious credit offset?

Our sheep are on permanent pasture and one of our landlord's landagents updated our agreement to ensure we didn't cultivate unproductive ground as PP locks in carbon.

Yes, along with other things.

I've had several attempts made to rope me in to carbon credit schemes, but on account of the woodland on the farm rather than the grassland.

I've refused them all and will continue to do so as I think it's a mockery.

Firstly, the environmental damage being done to our planet goes way beyond that which may or may not be related to the climate alone. And secondly, even if there is a climatic aspect to it, and even if is is being unduly influence by carbon, there's no way I'm going to contribute in any way to a system which is solely designed to deflect the blame away from the largest culprits.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I am a farmer, carbon sequestration is just another scheme like carbon credits.

Actively managing my mature woodlands 100+ years and older, clearing self seedlings and young holly which swamps out and kills bluebells.

Over 10-15 years it's tripled the bird of prey population including buzzards, and equally the numbers of wildlife.

In terms of the land, it's zero input low density sheep grazing. It's was poor quality land but sheep eat what they want and I mow the rest, encouraging soil regeneration that isn't monoculture grassland which works harder.

Not grazing or not mowing does nothing to improve soil regeneration/quality.

2 hours ago, GarethM said:

I am a farmer, carbon sequestration is just another scheme like carbon credits.

Actively managing my mature woodlands 100+ years and older, clearing self seedlings and young holly which swamps out and kills bluebells.

Over 10-15 years it's tripled the bird of prey population including buzzards, and equally the numbers of wildlife.

In terms of the land, it's zero input low density sheep grazing. It's was poor quality land but sheep eat what they want and I mow the rest, encouraging soil regeneration that isn't monoculture grassland which works harder.

Not grazing or not mowing does nothing to improve soil regeneration/quality.

I might beg to differ, if land is left in its natural state, without cutting or mowing, or excessive grazing, it will, by and large recover it's  natural drainage structure, due to deep penetrating roots and soil microbiology. And there should be more humus. Setting aside acidic peatlands which are what they are.

Benign neglect is a wonderful thing, though most simply cannot thole to see the rampant untidyness of nature.

But that is nature of nature.

So my couch grass, thistles, Benweeds and Dockins among other species, have allowed a song bird/sparrow population to thrive, or so the evidence of my eyes would seem to indicate.

Cheers,

marcus.

EDIT.

To say, I am busy interfering with natural nature, in that I am seeding acorns and horse chestnut and crab apple et. al. "up the moss" plus judiciously  felling Birch and Lodgepole Pine to give the various volunteer Oak and Beech a better chance.

Cheers!

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1