Silky Saws

H and J

I've the straight Natanoko, a 300mm Gomtaro, and a Zubat Arborist.

I use them all over the course of a winter as I now cut pretty much everything by hand, but the Natanoko is my most used out of the three and would be what I'd recommend for your job.

It's also sharpenable.

A good brush hook will also do a lot of work for you as well, I strongly recommend either of the two Fiskars offerings.

• Like 1

No, Sugoi still in the lineup.

Just thought the cross guard might mean you could go properly mental with it, and the coarse teeth might help the OP, you’re not worried about nice finish of cut.

Personally I’d get a battery saw and make handsaw noises when I was working.

Otherwise I’d end up with a right forearm like @Joe Newton.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, coppice cutter said:

A good brush hook will also do a lot of work for you as well, I strongly recommend either of the two Fiskars offerings.

Totally agree with this. I bought a Fiskars XA3 for a specific job, and I use it far more than I thought I would. It gives surprisingly clean cuts, even on 20-25mm thick stems. I wouldn't be without it now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StihlGreen said:

Totally agree with this. I bought a Fiskars XA3 for a specific job, and I use it far more than I thought I would. It gives surprisingly clean cuts, even on 20-25mm thick stems. I wouldn't be without it now.

I like the look of that, I'm getting one. Cheers.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StihlGreen said:

I've had the original X3 for a good number of years now and it's still going strong. It's cut and cleaned many tons of coppice wood and all it needs is a quick rub with a sharpening stone every now and again to keep a razor sharp edge. The original grind is still on the blade as it's never needed anything more severe to keep it right.

Earlier this year I bought an XA23, which is the long handled version of yours. It was too near the end of cutting for it to get a lot of work but what I've done with it so far suggests that it's going to be a regular member of the cutting team from now on.

Don't know if I'll buy an XA3 or not, I really don't need it, but if anything happened old faithful that's definitely what would replace it.

• Like 2