You know we argue about shite…

eggsarascal

Sorry to hear that, hope he pulls through and doesn't have lasting complications.

Pubs pre becoming family restaurants used to be where blokes talked about stuff, maybe not directly but you knew you had mates, watched each others backs and somehow just helped each other through. Seemed to put stuff in context within the bigger picture, there was always someone in deeper shite.

• Like 1

Eggs, my thoughts are with you and your mate.

All I have observed, or concluded from lifetime observations, and this in stable/settled rural farming communities, where depression is not at all uncommon, is that despite families being aware that a family member had and has  depressive tendancies, with intermittent periods of both depression and better humour, that they often mistake that period of, dare I say serenity? prior to a suicide, for a period of better humour. Which is entirely understandable. And that is within close families over a lifetime. It nearly always takes them by surprise, because they thought their family member "had finally turned the corner". Lifetime observations included responsibility for running a Cemetery for quite a few years, so perhaps I had more exposure to such shit stuff.

Take care,

Marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

I think Marcus has a good point, I've known several that ended their own life and none were apparently predictable by friends or family.

In my own experience there have been times when I've not been great mentally, and at what felt to me like the bleakest moments people close to me were of the opinion that I was doing better.

In general I've always been quite good at being open with loved ones about things but at the worst times it was easier to smile and say "not bad thanks" than engage in the effort of sharing the reality of how I felt.

There is a huge gulf between how you feel and how you appear to others.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Sorry Will I mistakenly read that has, how’s he doing. I’m fair shocked and saddened.

No worries, just shout if you need to speak to someone out side of the events. I’ve seen similar before and it fair messed with me at the time. 

On 23/10/2022 at 07:40, difflock said:

Eggs, my thoughts are with you and your mate.

All I have observed, or concluded from lifetime observations, and this in stable/settled rural farming communities, where depression is not at all uncommon, is that despite families being aware that a family member had and has  depressive tendancies, with intermittent periods of both depression and better humour, that they often mistake that period of, dare I say serenity? prior to a suicide, for a period of better humour. Which is entirely understandable. And that is within close families over a lifetime. It nearly always takes them by surprise, because they thought their family member "had finally turned the corner". Lifetime observations included responsibility for running a Cemetery for quite a few years, so perhaps I had more exposure to such shit stuff.

Take care,

Marcus

It’s like as if they have turned the corner or something. They probably feel better in themselves when they are fully committed to killing themselves. Human brain is hard to understand.

Eggs don’t beat yourself up about it (terrible pun) but if your mate pulls through this time and gets another chance to kill himself he probably will unless he gets a lot of counselling. Take care of yourself too at this time, talking here is good but not the same as a good one to one with a professional. I know I probably could have written this a lot better, it’s a tough subject.

Edited by Mrblue5000
  • Like 1