Day rates: why so cagey?

Dendrologen

31 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

That’s not unreasonable - and a conversation I would happily have - apart from the pay what you want part. 

it’d be pay for a day at the price I set and if you ain’t happy we won’t do any more rather than pay what you want. What communist, new age hippy shit is that? Madness, I set the rates, they are nobody’s business but my own and the person that’s paying them.  

I should think it's having confidence in ones own ability to get the job done in time and make everyone money. I have done this. Only a knob wouldn't pay the rate set after proving themselves worthy. And if they don't you will never give them the  privilege of learning from a master again!

• Like 1

I’m primarily a freelancer and only recently got the hang of setting my day rate. To be honest it’s been a game of trial and error. 

I will say this the outfit’s that beat me down on price are generally the worst to work for. So nowadays my day rate is set where it is and I focus on making sure I’m worth the money on the day. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dendrologen said:

I'm with you there. I had actually read Steve's post that way without realising that detail! Try me for the rate I set and if you're not happy, we never have to cross paths again!

At the end of the day it is a learning curve for you and everyone who becomes freelance.  Undoubtedly you will look back in a few years with a lot more confidence and knowledge about rates and see what you could have done differently, see times you could have negotiated better. 

But for now, like any new skill you will have to work it out, and accept that people and employers can be very cagy about rates.  It is just the same in the world of PAYE - not many people are happy to discuss their pay openly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackR said:

I’m primarily a freelancer and only recently got the hang of setting my day rate. To be honest it’s been a game of trial and error. 

I will say this the outfit’s that beat me down on price are generally the worst to work for. So nowadays my day rate is set where it is and I focus on making sure I’m worth the money on the day. 

This is it.  I'd rather pay more for someone efficient, safe, professional etc than someone without those traits demanding less money.  But there are many who will turn up late, need breaks all the time, forget their fuel etc but still think they they're worth the money.  As you say, if you demand decent money then you need to be able to deliver.

I should add that the flipside is that many firms take the piss out of efficient freelance climbers by adding on more work than they had planned for the day.

I do not think subbies are any more cagey than contractors , how many businesses do you know who tell you what their day rate is ?   Also if you state a price then others can price a bit less and get the job ...pretty obvious to me !!  There is a fine balance between pricing high and not having a full diary or being a busy fool ...although a living can be made in this business not many get rich , but plenty just enjoy it . Also if you are asking top rates you will have to be very capable , reliable , punctual etc etc ..and what kit do you provide ?  own vehicle , rigging gear , big saws etc ...many , many things to consider ...

You say there isn’t many registered on  the freelance database in your area?

there you go.  An opportunity to clean up.  Sell yourself.  Make yourself as marketable as possible.  Be punctual and do what you say you can do.

what kit have you got?  As someone else mentioned.  I had rigging kit and made it very clear if it came out the bag it was an extra 20 quid in the rate.  That stuff didn’t pay for itself so.

In time you will know who recognasies the value you add to their team.  When you get a few people / companies like this go out of the way to help them and the hopefully it will be reciprocated.

good luck.

• Like 5