What do you do with your arisings?

kiwi1999

Hi, I am doing some research for a project and would like to ask what you guys do with all the brush and logs after you've felled a tree. For the brush I'd assume most people would chip it and tip it, but the question remains: where? Do you keep it and sell it? Or do you pay to dispose of it? If so how much are you paying OR getting paid? Any and all answers welcome 🙂

Thank you

Back in the 80's and 90's.  We chipped and took to our yard. It was piled and turned etc for 4 months before we would consider using it as a mulch etc. We did a mix of work but mainly overheads..... One year, a chap brought the lot, paid delivery and rented a  chipper and two blokes for twelve days to chip sawmill offcuts etc just to make woodchips. The European F1 was held at Donington Park and the forecast was bad, it was used for footpaths and access roads/gates and did the job well. I couldn't tell you what we got paid but it was worthwhile! 

• 4 weeks later...

All evergreen chip or mixed loads of evergreen + deciduous go to a local concern where it is dried and used for biomass. Likewise any large timber we don't want goes to same place where they have the ability to process it into chips. This does not cost us anything.

Sweepings that are contaminated with soil/grit get taken to a local greenwaste recycling business, where we have to pay to tip. It is ultimately shredded, screened, and turned into soil/soil improver.

We keep good clean deciduous chip in our yard and sell it on as garden mulch. Harwood gets processed into logs for our own use, and logs for sale. I also burn quite a lot of softwood, including conifer in our own boiler to heat our house.

Also, not surprisingly, an increasing number of domestic customers keep the timber for their own use.

Chip goes to various gardens, allotments, orchards, farmers and golf courses. Used as mulch, for paths, in muddy gateways by them. Rarely sell any.

Logs - hardwood has plenty of takers, generally sold or swapped for storage space. Softwood - some sold or swapped. 

Bags of non chippable stuff taken by some who get logs and burnt etc. Sometimes have to pay to dispose of at local green waste facility.

Generally have an empty van at end of day for free.

Everything I bring back gets used except the awkward sized hedge clippings, like 2 year growth laurel or berberis or very spread out leylandi tops. I have a pile of this stuff now that's big enough to justify getting in a green waste shredder/grinder but unfortunately there is no one local to me with one. Keeping an eye out for something like a heavy duty diet feeder that would do the same job on a budget. I reckon there's the chance of a decent return from ton bags of compost.

The chip goes for mulch or bedding depending on how "woody" it is and all logs get processed (eventually...)