How to build a pole barn?

Woodworks

Wonder if the the linesmen still carry a special mallet to tap the poles/test  them for soundness?

Probably it is abit more hi-tech now....

Anyhow normally the rot is at  ground lvl rest of the pole is  still decent.

Scheduled System Inspection: The Foundation to Safe Operation

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

I can say, having used used NIE poles for gateposts, that the untreated heart will rot out surprisingly fast, to leave a nowt but a wooden pipe!

And these were pressure impregnated cresote treated poles.

And not entirely sure that covering the top to prevent rainwater ingress would prevent this rapid rot, since they will wick moisture upwards from the ground.

They are replaced for very sound, or more accurately unsound reasons!

Edited by difflock

Erected a shed to store small tractor and associated equipment about 16 years ago using 6 secondhand well creosoted electric/telephone none of which have so far show any sign of decay but they were not concreted in, they stand in in crushed stone 4-6 inch size in the bottom and 2" down at the top. Sawn Douglas fir boards 12' x 6" were used on sides show and no sign of decay either, the boards where treated at the start with clear Cuprinol and fixed horizontally with slight overlap to shed rain water however it was probably a waste of time treating the Douglas boards as not in contact with ground. 

Edited by Vedhoggar
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dumper said:

Maybe use new telegraph poles the old ones are removed because they are rotten

Not always the case. We had a bunch left on my property as BT replaced them with new. Even the installers had no idea why they get replaced as they can last up to 100 years and mine where perfect even after at least 20 years old.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Not always the case. We had a bunch left on my property as BT replaced them with new. Even the installers had no idea why they get replaced as they can last up to 100 years and mine where perfect even after at least 20 years old.

Even a half rotten cresoted pole will outlast a new freshly so called”treated” timber post in the ground?

• Like 2