Arb Assoc's view on freelancers and small businesses.

Joe Newton

I don't know if any good will come from dragging up an article that is over four years old, but I do feel compelled to mention a few points. 

Full disclouse preamble - I'm an arborist of 20+ years, and have been a 'subbie' since the end of 2009, working in the utility, amenity and domestic sectors. 

I have worked regularly for a select group of individuals and small enterprises, while also turning down work from companies that I don't want to be associated with due to ethical and safety reasons. 

I'm a member of the AA, and of IOSH, and am a committee member of the IOSH Rural Industries Group. 

I honestly can’t understand how anyone can be unemployed in the UK

Well, I feel this as an opening statement says it all. You really needn't read any more after this statement. 

...These essential staff are leaving good companies with good wages, highend equipment, pensions, provided PPE etc. to go and be jobbing tree demolition merchants in the low-end domestic market.

The industry is diluting as established organisations lose people who start small enterprises with their mates or, worse still, become ‘freelance’ climbers.

Apart from tarring all subbies with the same brush and using derogatory and demeaning language, the author fails to source, question and understand the reasons why someone may leave a full-time position in order to become a self-employed subbie. For me it was because I was unhappy where I was - even though the pay was OK and I held a supervisory position. It wasn't about the money - but more about job satisfaction and professional development. There are any number of personal and professional reasons someone may want to leave a full-time position in order to go self-employed / freelance.

Oh, and of course, subbies can't do anything except demolish trees for domestic clients. Low blow, Paul. Low blow.

The 'what is a subbie, what isn't a subbie' thing is hugely difficult and, potentially, problematic. I do think this area needs a huge overhaul, as it's tricky to fully underatand where one sits legally with regard to tax payments and health and safety arrangements. I have used to HMRC CEST page and it cannot define what I am based on my inputs. It is a grey area, that will always prove tricky to deal with. I think, at best, we need to move away from the term 'subbie' unless discussing bone fide subcontractors that take on and complete a job from start to finish with full or near-full responsibility. Subbie climbers and grounsdman could simply be called 'freelance worker' or 'temporary worker'. 

Typically, when companies use so-called freelance climbers etc., what I see is as follows.

The climber turns up in a banger when it suits them... It is ever so common for them to be wearing the wrong class of chainsaw protective trousers... They jump in the company truck and use the company tools but don’t maintain them... blah blah blah...

There doesn't seem to be any semblance of balance in this article, and no indication that there are, in fact, some bloody good freelance climbers out there. I know plenty, and have worked with plenty, and like to associate myself with fellow arborists that share my personal and professional ethical standards. I also know of subbies who fit the description Paul mentions. If an organisation feel compelled to employ the services of the latter over the former then that says more about the organisation than it does of the climber. 

If you are stuck in the trap of having to use freelance people (probably your previous employees who have stabbed you in the back), you must manage the relationship carefully to stand any chance of avoiding health, safety, employment and tax problems.

Before you deploy them with a team, you must:...

Paul is correct here. An MSME has moral, legal and financial reasons to look after a subbie's welfare as much as they do a direct employee. 

The industry has to weed out the parasites and make sure that we only use the services of true experts. A hired expert should arrive with everything they need and have no problem in providing you with copies of certificates and evidence of their tax affairs.

I'm inclined to agree with the concept, but not the language used. '...weed out the parasites...' isn't polite, helpful or called for and simply highlights the contempt the author has for fellow workers. However, we should be looking to "...use the services of true experts," especially if we are to raise the profile of this struggling profession. 

With over ten years' worth of subbying under my belt I could write an article defending myself, and offer rebuttles to most of the author's points. I could explain how I come to site in a clean, white van, packed with gear, ready to take on whatever is asked of me. I often bring more kit with me that other subbies, because it benefits me greatly to have it. I don't charge any more for it. I often help maintain chainsaws of the company I am climbing for, when asked or needed. Once the climbing is done I will pack my kit away and help with any clearing up. I have no gaps on my HMRC record, and have my invoices backed up going back five or six years. 

All-in-all I feel this piece is unbalanced, unprofessional and unfair. It highlights the negative actions of some individuals, while disregarding the positive actions of others. It also fails to present arguements for people's individual freedoms, and reasons for undertaking freelance work. 

I feel the AA should have paid more attention to being impartial, and should have questioned the need for an article to be writen with an inflamatory tone and use such provocative language. 

• Like 15