Sidelines

eggsarascal

4 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Your reply to his £5500 should have been NO, then say nothing more.

You're probably right eggs. I don't seem to be able to do the bartering thing. I'm the same when pricing jobs. I give my price, and when I get the slightest whiff of them trying to haggle,  I'm in the truck and away 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Con said:

You're probably right eggs. I don't seem to be able to do the bartering thing. I'm the same when pricing jobs. I give my price, and when I get the slightest whiff of them trying to haggle,  I'm in the truck and away 

You're not the only one, my mate just got a new bike, when he sold his old one he was dreading it. He advertised it for £5200 wanting £5000, bloke came, looked at it and bid him £4800, I stood behind the bloke shaking my head, in the end he got the £5000 for it. He said to me after the bloke had gone he'd have taken the £4800 if it wasn't for me shaking my head. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tommy_B said:

I remember advertising a truck years ago and the minute the advert went live, the phone didn't stop with people offering 50%. Drove me mental

I can hardly ever be bothered selling stuff, I would rather give it to a friend for free (if they'll actually keep it and use it).

But if I ever do put something on gumtree I don't put a phone number on, or sometimes I will go back to the ad after a couple of days and edit it, adding a phone number. There's some people who spend their life trawling through the latest adverts posted, and offering rock bottom prices, hoping they will get a bite. Half the time they probably don't even know what they're making an offer on!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

If you are going to use plastic rods lockfast are the best, I use 8mm steelkane rods.

Cheers, the only thing I've heard against them is they're more fiddly, and taking them apart with a spanner when shit covered is slower.

I did once lose a set of universal ones down a pipe, a friend then came out with a lockfast set and lost his down the pipe too! So the pipe was getting dug up anyway by that stage

10 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

We've all had a similar thought at some point. It's easy to look at such things with rose tinted glasses though, especially when you've bought the car from someone local or someone you know. 

What you've done with this car is not a true representation of what you could do with many cars. If you were dealing cars for an income you'd have VAT, tax, warranties, buying a lemon, trade insurance and all sorts of things taking a slice out of your pie.

Dealing in bangers has got to be a hard way to make a living. You'd need to sell multiple cars every day to make it worth bothering with. 

You missed out " Like making love to a beautiful woman " ...🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stubby said:

You missed out " Like making love to a beautiful woman " ...🙂

I think the biggest thing he missed is the title of the thread, Sidelines!

All of a sudden he's telling me about being in the motor trade, tax, vat, warranties, etc. Ya know all those things that have got nothing to do with sidelines.

• Like 2