Electric log splitters

neiln

19 minutes ago, Saptie said:

Has anyone ever used this? 

WWW.TOOLDEN.CO.UK

Shop for Hyundai HYLS8000VE 8 Tonne Vertical Electric Log Splitter online at Toolden. Free delivery is available for mainland UK orders over £50. 0% interest finance available.

I am a bit concerned that I can't find a single review for it anywhere...

Chinese crap spend a bit more and get a proper one.

On 23/07/2024 at 15:30, topchippyles said:

Chinese crap spend a bit more and get a proper one.

Whatever mate. Domestic single phase log splitters are all made in China, all you really choose is the colour.

That splitter is slow and cumbersome, but the same goes for all modern single phase splitters really, slow due to feck all juice on a single phase outlet and cumbersome due to all the legislated safety features these days. You're lucky there's not a cage around the splitting area on that one!

Edited by doobin
  • Like 3

On 31/05/2024 at 21:33, GarethM said:

If they were using the showers they could be getting close to the max supply for the house.

Depends on the shower but say 10Kw Plus the splitter could be well over 55A.

Best get a big boy extension lead 2.5mm, electric motors can be a bit noisy electrically speaking.

This. The "15 amp blue plug" splitters will run ok on a 13 amp domestic plug, but need a proper gauge cord.

I had a proper electrician test mine with an amp meter while running, on a 30 meter,  2.5mm unwound reel. He said it was close to borderline but ok.

After a few seasons of this, and occasionally running a 50 meter  1.5 cord on away from home jobs, the switch and capacitor blew up.

After replacing, I noticed the shorty "15 amp" cord that come with the splitter is only 1.5mm itself. Thick rubber with small wires inside.

So I wired my 2.5mm cord straight to the machine, permanent.

IMO the 15 amp machines probably the factory cord upgraded from the start.

• Like 1

Not sure if that was a dig, as I'm an electrical engineer with an three phase 80A test panel with amp meters, even a 1300w vac exceeds that on start.

You shouldn't ideally be using any fused plugs, blue are for a fused feed/supply preferred type c/d slower trip time.

A small cable to the splitter is fine as they're designed to be used near a suitable outlet, not at 50m as it's the starting amps you want to be worried about probably 75+ (4.5x).

At 50m with voltage drop and high amps = more amps and burning cable when you factor in 15A x 4.5 at 220 Vs 240.

• Like 2

For the smaller cable, 1.5mm it is probably rated at or around 13A, with a bit of luck the fuse or breaker will trip before the cable is damaged. It might, it might not. If you have a longer thinner cable it will draw more current to supply the same power at the furthest end, and if you have the cable coiled up it suffers more inductance (like resistance). So better to use a 2.5m cable and fully uncoiled. Note that the 13A fuse is there to protect the cables and installation till the next level of protection - if any part of the total system can't take 13A that is where you will get problems.

I'm assuming reading this that the motor on the splitter only works as the piston is moving? It doesn't operate constantly at a lower power to charge an accumulator of some sort, so lots of higher amp starts but some time in between for the cables to cool between logs. Lower powered or slow to compensate I think

12 minutes ago, Steven P said:

For the smaller cable, 1.5mm it is probably rated at or around 13A, with a bit of luck the fuse or breaker will trip before the cable is damaged. It might, it might not. If you have a longer thinner cable it will draw more current to supply the same power at the furthest end, and if you have the cable coiled up it suffers more inductance (like resistance). So better to use a 2.5m cable and fully uncoiled. Note that the 13A fuse is there to protect the cables and installation till the next level of protection - if any part of the total system can't take 13A that is where you will get problems.

I'm assuming reading this that the motor on the splitter only works as the piston is moving? It doesn't operate constantly at a lower power to charge an accumulator of some sort, so lots of higher amp starts but some time in between for the cables to cool between logs. Lower powered or slow to compensate I think

All the electric splitters I've used have run the whole time, in order to minimise startup cycles.

The lever is a spool lever, so it directs the hydraulics to work rather than jsut bypass/cycle. Engage the spool and the motor loads up, and loads up further when resistance is encountered.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GarethM said:

Not sure if that was a dig, as I'm an electrical engineer with an three phase 80A test panel with amp meters, even a 1300w vac exceeds that on start.

You shouldn't ideally be using any fused plugs, blue are for a fused feed/supply preferred type c/d slower trip time.

A small cable to the splitter is fine as they're designed to be used near a suitable outlet, not at 50m as it's the starting amps you want to be worried about probably 75+ (4.5x).

At 50m with voltage drop and high amps = more amps and burning cable when you factor in 15A x 4.5 at 220 Vs 240.

Definitely not a dig, my guy is a qualified spark. I know next to nothing about electrics, that why I requested he check my machine under the conditions I run it. He reckoned the amps spiked when the ram bottomed out or hit a serious knot that it wouldn't break through. IIRC 17 apms was mentioned, don't know if that makes any sense?

We haven't tried the test on the new setup, with the beefier supply cable.

I always unwind the cable fully

• Like 1