Standing spruce prices

John Hughes

There so many variables - measure timber, work out mean tree size, provide information on stacking areas, access, site constraints etc and get a few quotes from companies operating in the area either as a standing sale if good quality timber or on an out turn basis on prices per product. The Forestry Commission put out results from their standing sales prices from time to time, including sales from Natural Resources Wales, which you might find useful, there's data out there on forestreseach.gov.uk (Timber Price Indices) to March 2022 for GB, the average price for conifer standing sales was £44.55 per cubic metre OB in year end to March 2022, softwood sawlogs £76.89 per cubic metre OB and small roundwood £37.30 per cubic metre OB. 

Edited by Vedhoggar

Spruce Saw logs in west Wales are around £100 roadside. The chip market is not moving here, firewood grade timber is around £40 roadside. Fencing material is fetching a good price,  but unless you are mechanised it is a pain to process.

Geeez, that’s mental!

What’s Larch and Oak Sawlogs going for?

Just now, slack ma girdle said:

I don't think that there  is any Larch in west Wales,  so i have no idea of its roadside Price. Oak is around £90-130 depending on quality.

Oak and Spruce Sawlogs are about the same price Roadside? :/ Thats not something I ever expected to read.

Im paying £45 a ton for Spruce, £90 for Larch and £120 for Oak.

Spruce £90-£95 tonne R/S

Larch  £105-£120 tonne R/S if you can find any  ? 

Oak i am hearing a lot of different prices but for good quality clean straight stems 5 - 7.5 mtr for beams where at about £375 tonne several wk ago, smaller diameter logs and lengths where much less tho at about £150 tonne R/S.

as for standing spruce prices well only addvise i can give you is start as low as you dare as you can only go up and you cant come down once you have said a price, a lot of it depends on the ground, conditions put in place, 

one job i am working on getting later on this year has some of the best spruce in it that i have seen for some time but the site has plenty of issues for the big machines

Its a nature reserve 

its next to a water catchment stream for a near by Res 

Only a narrow access

and a long haul back to a stacking area

all this adds up for me to go in as low as possible and i am 95% sure i will get it but it will be for approx £10-£15 tonne standing, 

• Like 1