Hunting in the UK

JLA1990

Is it possible in the uk to source your meat solely from hunting (I’m talking game, deer only obvs not shooting daisy the cow)? Is there groups, clubs etc as it’s something I would like to do.

Any tips/info appreciated, I live in Gloucestershire/Cotswolds.

cheers, 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, doobin said:

Yes, but you’ll end up craving a nice fatty pork chop. 

UK game tends to be devoid of any fat. A well fed pheasant is probably the best you’ll get. 

Yeah, ill probs sneak a sausage from time to time. I’ve eaten a lot of pheasant, partridge, venison etc and I used to shoot alot of rabbit when I was younger and as you say all lean. I would like to get into shooting and prepping the majority of the meat I eat.

No… I can set one up if it’s the way to go 

Good luck with that !!! Unless your eating road kill you will starve ! You can't shoot Deere with air rifles and I'm pretty sure bow shooting in the UK is illegal ... you will struggle to find any ground to shoot on and more importantly trying to get any gun licence from your local police force right now is near impossible even if you have very valid reasons , I've been waiting since last august and I am still waiting for a reply.. I've given up planting trees on our 33 acres of Christmas trees as Deere are jumping the fence and eating every thing, forestry commission rangers have been replaced by contractors who have no interest in shooting anything unless they can pull the trigger from there vans.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

To answer the op, yes, speak to your local game dealer or stalker and you can buy a whole deer carcass butcher it yourself and freeze it.  Or you could go down the rabbit, pigeon, squirrel route. What are you after?

Matty, isn't it there any qualified stalkers around you who could help?

13 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

To answer the op, yes, speak to your local game dealer or stalker and you can buy a whole deer carcass butcher it yourself and freeze it.  Or you could go down the rabbit, pigeon, squirrel route. What are you after?

Matty, isn't it there any qualified stalkers around you who could help?

Forestry commission throughout the UK has passed the buck in regards deer control. The methods used and shots taken by some leave a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Good luck with that !!! Unless your eating road kill you will starve ! You can't shoot Deere with air rifles and I'm pretty sure bow shooting in the UK is illegal ... you will struggle to find any ground to shoot on and more importantly trying to get any gun licence from your local police force right now is near impossible even if you have very valid reasons , I've been waiting since last august and I am still waiting for a reply.. I've given up planting trees on our 33 acres of Christmas trees as Deere are jumping the fence and eating every thing, forestry commission rangers have been replaced by contractors who have no interest in shooting anything unless they can pull the trigger from there vans.

I have heard similar from a few people awaiting licenses. I’ve also looked into organised stalks/shoots and I couldn’t believe how expensive it was, I appreciate paying for an experts time, costs etc but then add on between 350-600 for a decent muntjac/roe/fallow buck! I will probably head to my local gun shop and see if they can give a steer.

If a license is at some point granted would approaching estates/land owners work at all or is there insurance issues to deal with?