Hunting in the UK

JLA1990

26 minutes ago, roboted said:

Another problem, very prevalent in this area, incomers don't  want anything shot on their land. Ten years ago it was 50 acre blocks now its 2/3/4 hundred  acre blocks. Add to that the land collectors, who amass ground as their own stalking preserve, not doing the job and not allowing anyone else to do so. The consequent result is that deer numbers , both Fallow and Roe, are rising massively (though I love seeing them, especially Roe), road kill is prevalent and when driving the lanes a wary eye is always needed. It's a situation here that is very rapidly running out of control, much to the detriment of forestry, farming and the beasts themselves.

It's very sad.

The problem in this part of Sussex was believe it or not the covid lockdown . The dutch " clients " could not come over to buy the stalking .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to Mike Hill's last response, I totally agree that FAC's can't be handed out to just anybody here and that we do have a disproportionately large number of frankly, prats in the UK whom you couldn't trust with a BB gun let alone a HMR round doing a few thousand fps. There was about an hour on R4 the other week about hunting in France and several people have been killed in recent years by over enthusiastic hunters letting loose in the wrong direction, with no backstop - and restrictions on ownership over there are very minimal. Then again, in Scandinavia rifle ownership is high and accidents are I believe largely rare.

As food costs rise I like the idea of rabbits or woodies for the table, and I probably will apply for open FAC on air rifles but not even sure I'd get granted that - I think they are getting harder on handing them out. 

1 hour ago, Acerforestry said:

Going back to Mike Hill's last response, I totally agree that FAC's can't be handed out to just anybody here and that we do have a disproportionately large number of frankly, prats in the UK whom you couldn't trust with a BB gun let alone a HMR round doing a few thousand fps. There was about an hour on R4 the other week about hunting in France and several people have been killed in recent years by over enthusiastic hunters letting loose in the wrong direction, with no backstop - and restrictions on ownership over there are very minimal. Then again, in Scandinavia rifle ownership is high and accidents are I believe largely rare.

As food costs rise I like the idea of rabbits or woodies for the table, and I probably will apply for open FAC on air rifles but not even sure I'd get granted that - I think they are getting harder on handing them out. 

Total agree with FAC getting harder to get now but it will only get even harder in the future, go for it now as you have nothing to loose, I recently was going to take some scrap in and was asked to bring either a photo driving licence or valid passport of which i have neither, but i did say i had a SGC with photo id on it, answer was we cant accept that ??? my answer was any dick head can get a driving licence or pass port but not every one will get a SGC or FAC,,,

• Like 3

The process should or is relatively easy , it's just like every other civil service department after the whole covid debacle in utter chaos and does not know what is going on or communicate with them selves or any one trying to apply or renew .... whole thing is not helped by most of the country who have no idea of countryside management and think it would be as easy as releasing a few lynx to let it all go for the perfect wildlife management and pushing for a ban on all hunting as they see all animals like some thing from water ship down

• Like 2