Replacement for awful Stihl KM 130 R 4-Mix?

Barcombeboy

Hello.

I'm hoping someone might help me. I am not a professional but smallholder with wood, field and lots of native and domestic hedging.

A decade ago I bought the Stihl KM 130 R Kombi with a load of attachments. It's been awful, completely unreliable. I only use it three or four times a year but when I do usage is intense. Sometime it does not start and almost always it will not restart once its got warm with use. I've taken it to a number of dealers and repair shops and each time it comes back it works OK the first time and then the next time I get it out it's useless (and yes, I use fresh fuel mix every time). So, at last I'm giving up as a bad job.

But I don't know what to replace it with. I need a powerful pole hedge trimmer and a strimmer/brush cutter. Initially I thought I'd just not touch Stihl ever again (I had similar problems with their MS181 chainsaw, bought at exactly the same time, but have now exchanged it for a Husqvarna 345 which has been a breath of fresh air!).

However, there seems little resale value for the attachments so I have begun to think about getting a Stihl combi. Obviously I have very little faith in Stihl's 4-mix engine now so have looked at their 2-Mix KM 94-RC-E Kombi but I don't think it'll be powerful enough for me (not too certain about this though). So reluctantly I've begun to consider the 4-Mix KM 131 R, an updated version of the dead KM 130 R I have.

So my questions are:
Can anyone vouch that the 131 is much better and much more reliable than the older 130 Kombi?
What would you do in my situation?

Cost is a concern or me. I am not at all adverse to buying second hand. I am just not at all knowledgeable about this market.

Any advice very much appreciated.

I wonder can the stihl attachments go an another brands engine/multitool?

Spline pattern shaft diameter etc....

There is a the stihl battery multitool powerhead dunno what its like.......

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

We have had lots of stihl 4 mix kombi units never had any problems with them ,over the past 10 years , always used the super green oil, and adjusted the valves every year, got a couple of the km94 kombi units they never ran right , from new , so went back to the km131, now on the cordless km135 , great for hedges , but eat the battery when strimming ,

Just get a 2 stroke unit . No valve clearances to consider . 2 strokes make more power than the comparable 4 stroke engine . ( Moto GP used to be 500 cc 2 strokes , its now 1000cc 4 strokes )  I would go Husqvarna but I am slightly biased  . As suggested the other alternative would be battery .

• Like 2

Thanks very much for the replies.

Yes, the valves clearances were just one of the things (regularly!) looked at.

I didn't realise that strimming consumed the most power. I'd assumed it was hedge cutting. And it is hedge cutting I use it for most, which makes me wonder if I might get away with a 94, thus avoiding Stihl's 4-Mix offering.  doobin, is the 94 really powerful enough to trim farm blackthorn/hawthorn hedges without struggling?