Upsides of the two years of Covid 19.

Mick Dempsey

40 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

In the cases where long-standing friendships were sundered it was more than disagreement, guaranteed.

Totally different and irreconcilable understanding of reality, I would say, which kind of does preculde friendship of any but the most superficial kind.

Essentially, a feeling of betrayal.

I have friends who are polar opposites to me in regard to Covid as well as many other things.

Some of these friends I have known for over 40 years so it is easy to discuss more than just Covid.

I have certainly been through far worse than this charade with them and come out the other side unscathed.

• Like 2

I think there is a key to maintaining friendships and relationships IRL not on the internet over this whole thing, just don’t discuss it.

If you feel strongly about certain controversial aspects of it, read the signs, if your friend/workmate/ isn’t on your side or is uncomfortable with your view, desist from discussing it, don’t raise the subject.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

If you feel strongly about certain controversial aspects of it, read the signs, if your friend/workmate/ isn’t on your side or is uncomfortable with your view, desist from discussing it, don’t raise the subject.

Bit like the whole stihl/husqvarna thing then?!

• Like 1

Can’t remember whether there was a real opinion splitter before Brexit.

There was the usual get rid of foreigners and hang the paedos stuff but nothing really polarized opinion and got daggers drawn as much till that turned up, apart from Comic Relief of course.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Haha 2

Simpler indeed, although I must admit that the lockdowns gave me a chance to get a few home projects off the ground, spend more time with the dogs and enjoy the countryside around where I live. It's amazing the things you see when walking that you never notice while driving.

I know some people's experiences will be different but overall I enjoyed it. Have friends who live in apartments who didn't but we all make our own choices in life. 

My missus took some convincing to move out of the city (albeit a couple of years before the madness) and give up all the convenience of that lifestyle to live in a caravan in a corner of an overgrown field. "Post covid" she has never been happier, has an acre of garden, log cabin, pets, chickens and a tunnel of veggies and now gets to wfh. You know what they say, happy wife, happy life!

• Like 3