Red diesel again

eggsarascal

Bought 50 litres today (not filling up large tanks any more as I don't expect to be allowed to use red next month) and it was £1.52 per litre.  For RED !  I am only paying slightly more for white diesel for my road van.

This was from a dodgy local garage that always rip you off, but they excelled themselves this time.  I don't generally use them but it saved me a 15 mile trip to get red elsewhere.

Now that red is so pricey I will be investing in a 30hp inverter much sooner than I planned and ditch the three phase genny.  It is mainly to run the bandmill, and I recon will cut fuel costs by 90% at least.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Bought 50 litres today (not filling up large tanks any more as I don't expect to be allowed to use red next month) and it was £1.52 per litre.  For RED !  I am only paying slightly more for white diesel for my road van.

This was from a dodgy local garage that always rip you off, but they excelled themselves this time.  I don't generally use them but it saved me a 15 mile trip to get red elsewhere.

Now that red is so pricey I will be investing in a 30hp inverter much sooner than I planned and ditch the three phase genny.  It is mainly to run the bandmill, and I recon will cut fuel costs by 90% at least.

Red has 5% VAT, white has 20%.

Your £1.52 red is exactly the same price as white at £1.74 at the pump if you are VAT registered.

If you are not VAT registered then fair enough but there are plenty of VAT registered people out there panic buying red at what is the equivalent of white prices. WTF?

White around here seems to be universally £1.799, so should you be VAT registered your 50 litres of red saved you £3.00.

If you are not registered you saved £14.

How I wish I had bought more at the height of covid when they were almost giving it away

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Why not just have a proper 3 phase supply installed??

john..

2 hours ago, john87 said:

Why not just have a proper 3 phase supply installed??

john..

Probably because the electric company quotes unrealistic amounts to install a supply. Until this is sorted (government subsidy?), the ‘green revolution’ can never really happen. It’s not just industrial users that are affected. I have multiple customers who are upgrading oil burners as they would need three phase to run a large enough heat pump and are being quoted stupid amounts like £45k to install three poles and an extra cable across a field. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Squaredy said:

How does your single Ph supply put enough juice forward to to drive a 30HP inverter?

I just bought a couple of 3Ph items and need to source a 3Ph supply, options being 3Ph mains(and still awaiting the no-doubt eye-watering NIE quote to install same), a diesel engined genny, or a PTO genny, or a rotary inverter limited to guessing 50A(since it is only a time limited 100A fuse) at 230V=11.5kW, and at single Ph electric prices, even that sounds eye-watering expensive to run!

33 minutes ago, difflock said:

How does your single Ph supply put enough juice forward to to drive a 30HP inverter?

I just bought a couple of 3Ph items and need to source a 3Ph supply, options being 3Ph mains(and still awaiting the no-doubt eye-watering NIE quote to install same), a diesel engined genny, or a PTO genny, or a rotary inverter limited to guessing 50A(since it is only a time limited 100A fuse) at 230V=11.5kW, and at single Ph electric prices, even that sounds eye-watering expensive to run!

Can't answer how they get sufficient "juice" but they work! I bought a 15kw rotary converter last week off a lad in kerry, he has another one. Decent fella and I saw both working. Can pass on his number if you're interested. Could be couriered up to you? It's a hucol and in good nick.

I had to upgrade from my 4kw Clarke converter when I got a bigger table saw, starting it was too much for the poor thing and it burnt out.

4 hours ago, doobin said:

Probably because the electric company quotes unrealistic amounts to install a supply. Until this is sorted (government subsidy?), the ‘green revolution’ can never really happen. It’s not just industrial users that are affected. I have multiple customers who are upgrading oil burners as they would need three phase to run a large enough heat pump and are being quoted stupid amounts like £45k to install three poles and an extra cable across a field. 

Yes spot on.  Inverter costs about £3000, proper three phase supply would be £30,000+.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, difflock said:

Good question!  I have split phase supply, which is actually further divided into three phases (but not true three phase) so there is plenty of power to run the thirty hp inverter.  Inverter needs two 60 amp feeds, I have three 80 amp feeds.

• Like 1